Future Build 40 Gallon Long?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JRS, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I can feel a case of MTS coming on but I need to take it slow and think it out. I am going to put some cabinetry into my sunroom/office, which may be a good spot to put an aquarium in for me (our other one is in my son's room). He is 14 and I think is going to tire of me going in and staring at the fish in his room. I want to have a plan before we build the cabinets so I won't regret later. I think the cabinet that will run along the wall will be 8' long and 15/16" deep. I can go deeper if necessary but that would limit the use of the rest of the room.

It is a bright room, but on the north side of the house so it never gets direct sun. It is a heated room of the house, not the best but I think I can add an extra heater if necessary in the tank. Don't know if the natural lighting will cause issues with algae as our 20 gallon tank is in a corner of a room that doesn't get much sunlight and I don't have much trouble with algae there.

Anyway, the size that seems to be best suited for the space would be a 40 Gallon Long. I see it on the Aqueon site as a size they sell, but I haven't found anyone asking about stocking for it. (plenty of 40 breeders)

1. I am wondering if this is a size setup that is limiting or difficult to get a hold of or does it give plenty of stocking options.

2. Can anyone give me some stocking ideas for a direction, so I can start poking and dreaming and be sure this is the size for me before we buy the cabinets and build a countertop?

Thanks so much!

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Why don't you just do a 55 gallon. It's the same footprint, only 4" taller. (Easier to find on sale as well)

3. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I will have to give it some thought. To do that I will have to remove some shelves, but it is an option. Thanks. That would be so big and very cool. Now that i just remeasured, I likely would have to move the shelf up with the 40 or remove with the 55. Something to think about.

Is there much difference in stocking options between the two?

I wonder how much weight wood kitchen cabinets can hold. Hmm?

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Stocking wouldn't differ much between the two as they have the same footprint.

What sort of fish do you like?

5. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Its an extra 15 gallons so you could fit more fish in or have the same amount of fish as you would in the 40 but with far lighter stocking with the extra gallons.

Wow i have no idea... 55 gallons is a lot of weight! Approximately 440 pounds...

6. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

If you do a 40 gallon, you can do this:

8x flame tetras
    8x zebra danios/leopard danios/long fin danios/golden zebra danios/glo danios (you can mix them and have a total of 8 or just get 8 of one kind)
    3x endlers
    1x bolivian rams
    6x panda cories

7. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Well I don't really know. Peaceful, I don't need to find anyone eating someone else too often. We have glotetras, black neon tetras and harlequins. I guess I would like something other than them, but I do really like watching the harlequins. Maybe some ideas for fish that couldn't go into a 20 and would need a 40 long/55 to give variety overall.

Thank you I am going to take a good look at this list. Thank you!!!
    So those danios will shoal/school together even though they are different? Are danios nippy or was ours nippy because no one told us he would not like being the only one of his kind when we had him?

Do shrimp and snails really sneak out? I wouldn't mind them, but that idea concerns me a little and I don't think my husband would be too happy about it. Someone did tell me one variety of snail that stays put, but I have forgotten.

8. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Those danios will school together because they are the same species (danio rerio). I've never heard that danios nip fins, I have kept danios and they were peaceful and minded their own.

9. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Great Thanks for the information. I think we had in our tank when we first started with only the LFS helping, 2 glo tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 3 long fin red serpae tetras (not exactly sure what they were called) and one lone glo danio. He was so nippy, but now I get he was probably very stressed. Poor fish. Good to know, I won't condemn the entire species because of our ignorance back then.
    The leopard spotted danios are interesting.

10. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

The lone danio wasn't in a school of 6+, no friends; that probably sparked the idea to nip other fish.

11. vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

For a long, narrow tank like you're considering, I'd suggest barbs, rainbowfish, giant danios... Something that will enjoy swimming the length of the tank. Perhaps a group of yoyo loaches as well.

A 40 long is a neat size, but not easy to find. A 55 is very easy to find, and especially inexpensive during dollar-per-gallon sales.

12. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Thank you. I will look into those fish too. This is great. When I go to the LFS I will have some things to look at that I know could be options. Appreciate it. I will also start noticing if any of the local stores carry the 40 long and what it costs compared to what I can get a 55 at the next dollar per gallon sale. I think that size is in the 50% off category during the sale, if I am not mistaken.

13. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering what type of fish platy's can be kept with and if they would work with other community fish and what other fish species they are compatible with? I do not want to breed fish though - so can you be sure to just get males or should I just not consider them if I don't want to fry?

14. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

How about
    12 danio rerio
    10 skirt tetras or neon tetras or odessa barbs or rosy barbs
    5 male platies
    1 male molly
    2 bolivian rams
    12 panda cories or 2-3 dojo loaches

15. JRSWell Known MemberMember

That sounds nice. I saw some barbs at the store today that were interesting.

Would some type of gourami be a possible switch with the rams? Like them both.

16. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Would that work in the 40, the 55 or either?

17. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

You can switch the bolivian rams with honey gouramis, they are extremely peaceful.
    I personally would do BottomDweller's stock in a 55 gallon, there is more space for the fish.

18. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I appreciate it. These ideas will give me something to really look at.

My son is going to have a 29 (has a 20 now). After some losses, he has 3 glotetras, 3 black neon tetras and 1 harlequins. Harlequins are his favorite, so we have 5 more in QT. Having learned a bunch since the aquisition of these fish, I guess he should only have 2 of these species together in a 29. Would any one of the three species work with the either aquatickeeper or BottomDweller's stock? Obviously replacing something with them and bringing them up to at least 6 of the species? Since it seems I need to rehome someone.

19. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

In my suggested stock, you can replace the flame OR danio rerios and add in the glo tetras.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice