Future Adf Tank Stocking Help Question

1. Dhrogara

Dhrogara New Member Member

I'm trying to come up with a few future stocking ideas for when I get myself in a more permanent living situation. Initially one of my plans was to get a 15-20 gallon with African Dwarf Frogs, Corydoras, and Guppies. But I am concerned the guppies will out compete the frogs for food (I am a beginner aquarist, so the less trouble I get myself into the better), so I am thinking of putting them in separate tanks. That being said, I love multispecies tanks, but I also love the ideas of adfs, so are there any tankmates that are better suited for them?

More general questions:
    Could I keep ADFs with Nerite snails? Or would they eat them?
    Would Corys compete with ADFs for food?
    Are there any small, hardy species (3 inches or under) that have diff food requirements that would work well with ADFs?

I'm not setting up this tank anytime soon, but I want to have a good idea of what species I might get so I can do extensive research on their care and compatibility before I get them.

2. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

I don't really know much about this topic however! I do have adf of my own who happen to have been with a fair few different species of fish including currently guppies because I'm bad and quarentine small groups of fish with them.

If anything my frogs have always out ate my fish. But I spot feed my frogs and feed the fish on the other side. Once the food sinks the fish usually don't bother but that could be because my frogs food is too big for them.

But everyone really suggests that you do a species only tank for adf. Mine personally don't care but I do think it would be very easy for a fish to steal all the food if they want to because of how slow the frogs eat.

But if your frogs tell you when they're hungry and you feed them when they ask for food it's a lot easier to deal with.

I would say cories wouldn't be a good mix because they eat off the bottom and so do the frogs, who again eat really slow. And comparing to my cories who quickly devour everything off the ground it wouldn't be safe for the frogs.

As for them with snails. Mine were with my trapdoor snail as she was giving birth. They never bothered her or any of her tiny tiny babies so I'd say that's safe. Fry on the other hand are likely to be eaten.

3. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i too keep my adf in a tropical tank with guppys and platys and mystery snails, he did eat a few fry so be sure to seperate if you have fry lol. but i spot feed the frog and theres been no issue. plus the tadpole pellets i use, although small are to much for the fish so they dont bother

4. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

The best thing to do, when you have frogs with different species of fish, is to individually feed them with a long handle tweezer. I would also suggest if you're going the 20g route, make it a 20g long. Easier for the frogs to reach the surface.

5. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Seems the common thread here is spot-feeding. Which is also what I do. I have african dwarf frog in a 10 gal with endler guppies. They totally ignore each other. My frog isn’t trained to eat from a dish or a single spot (still trying, no joy), so I’ll be continuing with spot feeding.
    I also have cherry shrimp (incl babies), amano shrimp, and one each of nerite, ramshorn, horned nerite and limpet. No issues with any.

6. OP
    OP
    Dhrogara

Dhrogara New Member Member

Can you guys explain spot feeding in more detail? Like do I put the food in front of the frogs so they see it? Or do I put it under a rock where the fish don't see it? How long should these tweezers be exactly?

7. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i out the food in front of the adf, i dont usse tweezers, i use my fingers,( make sre they are clean, but NOT with soap) but any really long tweezers would work. go to amazon and look up long aquarium tweezers ::)

8. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

yep, spot feeding is basically that. put it right in front of their faces, or have a designated place in the tank that only they can get to. corys might be able to get to it also, though. they're both bottom feeders.

i use what are called   and  . i'm planning on getting 4-6 frogs later this year, so i'm not sure if i'll be able to keep it up (might try using a terra cotta plate and dropping food in, hopefully they'll catch on), but it's excellent for portion control. you can control exactly how much each frog eats. doesn't work for all types of food, however.

9. bitseriously

I use a bamboo skewer. I snipped off the pointy end, and then made a small slit lengthwise from where I cut it. The flexible springy nature of the bamboo works with the length of the slit to pinch a thawed bloodworm just right (if too narrow/tight, make slit longer; if worm falls out, snip more off end of skewer to make slit shorter). I use a separate smaller needle point tweezer to place the bloodworm in the slit.
    Then I can place individual worms in front of the frog wherever he is in the tank, I don't have to worry about releasing the worm early because the skewer is holding the worm nicely (ie I don't have to keep squeezing a long tweezer), and the frog is able to grab and pull the worm free with no problem.
    FYI I also have long 'scaping tweezers, which I use if the frog is up near the surface sitting in the weeds. But if he's near or on the bottom, I use the skewer.

10. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Chopsticks would work if you would prefer not to buy tweezers.

11. bitseriously

Here's a couple of vids of what I tried to describe above, ie feeding with bamboo skewer: