future 55-60 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nick Della Rocca, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

Hello all! Has been a while. Well I will be moving to Florida in oOctober. So by the new year Iwill be taking my mother in laws tank. She thinks its a 60 gallon tank. So iI have started to thinkabout what to do with it. I would like 1 nice sized cichlid as my center ppiece, and khuli or dwarf chain loaches. Help me fill it.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How about an Angelfish or 2? Or 1-2 Kribensis?

3. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

I was thinking as the centerpiece either a beautiful angel or possibly a discus if the final stocking permits one.

4. Dom90

I dont know how long you have been keeping fish but discus require the best water conditions as they are very sensitive and require strict commitments to water changes etc.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I don't think I would add a discus. Discus need to be in groups of 6+. They are very social.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Dom90

And hard to keep! You must have a strict regiment. I don't they are necessarily schooling so won't need 6+ but yes, they are very social.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

A pair of pearl gouramis?

8. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

Yes I know they need impeccable water conditions.I am prepared to do water changes every couple days as needed by

9. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I like Anders' suggestion of pearl gouramis.

While others keep discus in tanks 75 or more gallons, I personally believe given their size and social behavior, they would thrive more in 90+ systems instead.

10. Dom90

I'm thinking even bigger than 90 gallons, for six discus, I would recommend at least 125 gallons.

11. AquaticBrandon

IMO, they will be fine in a 55-60 gallon discus only tank. With frequent water changes, frequent feedings and good water quality. Of course you'll have to do do a lot of water changes and feedings when growing them out so that they can reach their full potential growth :)

12. Dom90

I dont recommend it, personally. A 55-60 gallon just isnt wide enough for a fish of that size.

13. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't either, a 75 I could back if there was a very strict maintenance schedule. But a 55 doesn't make sense. A 6-9" fish should have more width than 13"

14. AquaticBrandon

Discus only get 6" I believe. I've seen many people keep them in 55 or 60's fine. Although a 75 would be better. Let's wait until somebody that has more experience with discus to chime in. They should be a better help if you're deciding to do a discus tank. Slug Disc61

15. Dom90

I'm reading Seriously Fish and it says wild discus reach a size of 6" while those kept in captivity can grow up to 9" "through a stringent regime of frequent, large water changes during the most important growth periods".

16. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Most people severely overestimate their discus's size and most doing it fail to actually take them out and put them on a tape measure. 6" would be a very good and normal size, though big for most keepers. 7"+ would be a monster and a fairly rare specimen. If you get them to 6" you are doing pretty dang good. I've seen only a couple that would push the 7-8" mark and they were massive....they actually didn't even look that good that large, like a body builder.....it was kind of gross and looked very unnatural.

While I agree a 75+ would be better, especially in footprint, if you are just doing discus a 55gal could support up to 6 provided good water and food quality.

To me, discus aren't a center piece fish. They are easier and better in a species type environment and a group where the tank is specifically set up for them. A simple Angelfish or the like would be a better centerpiece fish IMO.

17. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, a 55g min for discus....

18. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

OK. I'll keep that in mind for the discus. See what the boss says. The gouramis I'd pass on. I do not like gouramis at all. Don't know why. Just don't.

19. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

+1 to Slugs comments. and yeah this guy is 7 inches and massive, although I have several in his tank that are over 6.5 and a couple others reaching 7.
    and I have actually taken him out and measured him a few times. but again, as slug mentioned 6 inches is a good size.

20. OP
    OP
    Nick Della Rocca

Beautifull fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice