Fussy Frogs!

Peach

Hello,

I was wondering if I could grab some advice. I’ve got two African dwarf frogs in a (cycled) 2.6 gallon (Fluval Spec with filter buffer) which I’ve had for two weeks now, they’re healthy, active, doing frog things but they are so picky with food!

I’ve tried them with frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen beef heart none of which they’ll touch. I’ve tried them with Fresh Delica bloodworm and brine shrimp but they won’t touch that either. I’ve tried them with a ton of different pellets but no the only thing they’ll eat and seem to love and will eat is freeze dried bloodworm which I soak for a good ten minutes in tank water before feeding.

Now I’m wondering if feeding them souly on this is going to have long term effects on their health? And if so what can I try? I’m open to trying live food (except for black worms, my girlfriend is freaked out by them) but they have shrimp in their tank which they don’t bother. I even called the shop I got them off to see what they were feeding them and they said Tetra frog pellets, well they hate them and won’t go near them.

If I can keep them on the freeze dried worms them that’s great because they really love them but if it’s going to effect their health long term I’ll obviously try live food. What live food would you all recommend?

Cheers!

Aqua Hands

Don't you just love having poor eyesight and trying to read titles on FishLore?
Will they touch shrimp pellets? I know my LFS feeds their fussy ones shrimp pellets.

Rtessy

2.6 gallons is pretty small for one frog, let alone two.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What's the temp?
midnacan probably help more

Peach

Will they touch shrimp pellets? I know my LFS feeds their fussy ones shrimp pellets.

N

Not at all, they just pass them by. They won’t even eat them if I try to feed them with a tweezers.

2.6 gallons is pretty small for one frog, let alone two.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What's the temp?
midnacan probably help more

Not according to the research I’ve done. One gallon per frog is the rule of thumb. Maybe it’s different in your country. I’m not being rude but I didn’t ask for your two cents, can you please stick to the questions.

ammonia -0
nitrite -0
nitrate- 20 ppm

Temperature is 26c (yes I have a heater)

Rtessy

Not according to the research I’ve done. One gallon per frog is the rule of thumb. Maybe it’s different in your country. I’m not being rude but I didn’t ask for your two cents, can you please stick to the questions.

ammonia -0
nitrite -0
nitrate- 20 ppm

Temperature is 26c (yes I have a heater)
Not trying to be rude either, sorry if it came off that way! And I wasn't being off topic, sometimes fish/frogs refuse to eat in smaller tanks, just in my experience.
And you've absolutely done your research, no doubt about that! Most frogs aren't cared for nearly as well as yours are, I mean, you're offering them the tastiest buffet.
Have they had trouble eating the whole time you've had them or was it more recent? Do you have a feeding dish, and if not, what kind, if any, substrate do you have?

CandyCane701

I also don't think the tank is large enough.

Maybe try soaking some different foods in with the freeze dried bloodworms, and dumping it in together if you haven't yet?

Peach

Not trying to be rude either, sorry if it came off that way! And I wasn't being off topic, sometimes fish/frogs refuse to eat in smaller tanks, just in my experience.
And you've absolutely done your research, no doubt about that! Most frogs aren't cared for nearly as well as yours are, I mean, you're offering them the tastiest buffet.
Have they had trouble eating the whole time you've had them or was it more recent? Do you have a feeding dish, and if not, what kind, if any, substrate do you have?

Yes definitely, the only thing they’ll chow down on is the freeze dried worms. I fed them with tweezers, I used a shrimp feeding dish but they couldn’t find the food and the shrimp got to it first.

They’re on black regular gravel, the tank is also planted and hard scaped with drift wood, a few floating plants (frogbit) too so they feel safe when going up for air.

I tried mixing pellets with their freeze dried bloodworms in the dish but they ignore them.

I also don't think the tank is large enough.

Maybe try soaking some different foods in with the freeze dried bloodworms, and dumping it in together if you haven't yet?
Oh come on! The frogs are not even the size of my thumb, they’re also poor swimmers and from what I’ve read don’t produce that much waste so I think you’re being really OTT to be honest saying 2.6 gallons isn’t big enough! LOL

CandyCane701

According to online stocking calculators you're at 102% with just the 2 frogs. If you're dead set on using that tank then more power to you. I'm sure you can if you put in the effort. If you don't want the advice people are offering to you then don't take it, but there's no point in becoming so defensive when people are just pointing out the issues that they see.

Rtessy

Do they look underfed at all? Do you know what the store was feeding them?

Peach

According to online stocking calculators you're at 102% with just the 2 frogs. If you're dead set on using that tank then more power to you. I'm sure you can if you put in the effort. If you don't want the advice people are offering to you then don't take it, but there's no point in becoming so defensive when people are just pointing out the issues that they see.
I’m not being defensive..? I didn’t ask for tank advice! You saw fit to give it without me asking for it. My original post is about their food not their tank. Stop being so ott.

I do 50-70% water changes on all my tanks once a week. Everything is fine.

Do they look underfed at all? Do you know what the store was feeding them?
No not at all. They were feeding them Tetra frog pellets (which I said in my original post) but they won’t eat them now.

nedpatrick

I’m not being defensive..? I didn’t ask for tank advice! You saw fit to give it without me asking for it. My original post is about their food not their tank. Stop being so ott.

I do 50-70% water changes on all my tanks once a week. Everything is fine.

No not at all. They were feeding them Tetra frog pellets (which I said in my original post) but they won’t eat them now.

I’m sorry if I missed it but how long have you had the frogs? It Could just be that they’re stressed from the move if they are relatively new. I don’t think anyone was trying to come at you about tank size but quite often tank size and parameters can lead to and be the main problem with fish or amphibians.Could you also post a picture of the frogs?

Peach

I’m sorry if I missed it but how long have you had the frogs? It Could just be that they’re stressed from the move if they are relatively new. I don’t think anyone was trying to come at you about tank size but quite often tank size and parameters can lead to and be the main problem with fish or amphibians.Could you also post a picture of the frogs?
Two weeks on Wednesday.

If that was the case why are they eating the freeze dried bloodworms with absolutely no issues? If the tank (which is more than acceptable in my opinion) was the problem or the water conditions (which again is fine) then they’d not eat at all.

Not at the moment no, but I will later.

I would just appreciate it if someone answered my question.

Peach

EBEFB488-6991-4105-864A-818C47286F49.jpeg
E4110794-979D-4BAE-908A-DE5F441AF3F0.png

ETNsilverstar

You are being extremely defensive, and it sounds like they are stressed. Yes, when an animal is stressed it may only eat certain things. It could simply be stress from moving into a new home, or it could be stress because their new home is too small. Just because there are guidelines doesn't mean every creature will fit into that mold. Each of them has a different personality and they simply may not like the size of the tank. While one may be fine in just one gallon, another may prefer 5 while another prefers 10. That same one that is fine in one gallon may prefer 5 when they have a roommate, or they may be good with just two.

Everyone here is attempting to answer your question, which means getting more information to see if there may be a deeper issue. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong or not following the recommendations, but there is likely more to the problem than just them being picky, especially if they've eaten other foods in the past.

If you want help then let us help you instead of attacking everyone that's just trying to get to the bottom of things and actually help.

Iboughtmykidfish

Frogs need a varied diet. Probably something else going on if they used to eat other foods and they won't now, but I won't get into that. Freeze dried food is kinda as it is. Try some frozen foods.

Everyone here is trying to help. We just want what's best for the animals we keep.

Smalltownfishfriend

Lucy used to maybe still does keep adf. Maybe she can give some insight on what is a good diet. I hardly can see freeze dried bloodworms being a good long term diet simply cuz they are fatty and not really nutrious but I really don't know a whole lot about frogs so I won't try to give any help!!!

Kjeldsen

If your frogs love freeze-dried blood worms, I don't see a problem. At least they're eating, that's always a good sign! If that's all they'll eat, you may want to soak them in liquid vitamins occasionally to be on the safe side. Mine are little pigs and will eat anything but they love frozen bloodworms. I worry that even frozen ones don't have all the vitamins they need, so I alternate with Bug Bites and Zoo Med pellets. Never tried live food though.

Lucy

Let's get back to the original question. The OP was asking about their frog's diet, not tank size. Granted 2.6 is rather small but let's address the question asked

Hello,

I was wondering if I could grab some advice. I’ve got two African dwarf frogs in a (cycled) 2.6 gallon (Fluval Spec with filter buffer) which I’ve had for two weeks now, they’re healthy, active, doing frog things but they are so picky with food!

I’ve tried them with frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen beef heart none of which they’ll touch. I’ve tried them with Fresh Delica bloodworm and brine shrimp but they won’t touch that either. I’ve tried them with a ton of different pellets but no the only thing they’ll eat and seem to love and will eat is freeze dried bloodworm which I soak for a good ten minutes in tank water before feeding.

Now I’m wondering if feeding them souly on this is going to have long term effects on their health? And if so what can I try? I’m open to trying live food (except for black worms, my girlfriend is freaked out by them) but they have shrimp in their tank which they don’t bother. I even called the shop I got them off to see what they were feeding them and they said Tetra frog pellets, well they hate them and won’t go near them.

If I can keep them on the freeze dried worms them that’s great because they really love them but if it’s going to effect their health long term I’ll obviously try live food. What live food would you all recommend?

Cheers!

HI Peach
Freeze dried isn't the greatest diet, they can cause bloat and/or constipation. This might have been suggested already. Try re-hydrating the freeze dreid in some tank water. It might help.
As said above there is a variety of foods you can try, From our care sheet:

Mysis shrimp; brine-shrimp; glassworms (mosquito larvae); bloodworms (best fed sparingly, if at all); beefheart; blackworms; tubifex worms; earthworms; whiteworms; talapia fish; tuna or salmon steak; shrimp, mussels and prawns (from the grocery store); gammarus and krill (not particular favourites but some frogs will eat them); even canned tuna or cooked chicken breast (but these are messy); smaller frogs will eat smaller foods such as daphnia (water-fleas), cyclops (water fleas), bosmidea (water fleas). Although liver is sometimes recommended, it should probably be avoided since there is new evidence to suggest that feeding liver can cause vitamin A toxicity (personally, I believe this to be true).

It may be a matter of weaning them off freeze dried. Mine love frozen (thawed) brine shrimp but will eat frozen blood worms.
Try to entice them by putting it right in front of their nose with blunt nosed tweezers.

Edit:
I'm sorry, I see you tried all those things. Sorry I didn't read thoroughly. I agree with the title.
Your frogs are fussy little cuties but like kids, they need to eat what is nutritious for them

mollybabes

The top picture of the frog looks like it's eyes are on top of its head. Am I seeing that wrong.
Also I think you need a 10 gallon at minimum. My sister had her two in a ten gallon and they were fine. Have you tried daphnia? I think that's how you spell it.

CandyCane701

The top picture of the frog looks like it's eyes are on top of its head. Am I seeing that wrong.
Also I think you need a 10 gallon at minimum. My sister had her two in a ten gallon and they were fine. I really couldn't care less if you want to have stressed, underfed, unhappy frogs. Have you tried daphnia? I think that's how you spell it.
I saw that too, but I couldn't get a good enough view of the front hands, so I didn't think it'd be worth mentioning.

Peach

If your frogs love freeze-dried blood worms, I don't see a problem. At least they're eating, that's always a good sign! If that's all they'll eat, you may want to soak them in liquid vitamins occasionally to be on the safe side. Mine are little pigs and will eat anything but they love frozen bloodworms. I worry that even frozen ones don't have all the vitamins they need, so I alternate with Bug Bites and Zoo Med pellets. Never tried live food though.
Thanks for that. I do soak them first in tank water.

mollybabes

I'll have to see it's front feet are webbed. If not then it's a clawed and it'll need a 20g

Peach

Let's get back to the original question. The OP was asking about their frog's diet, not tank size. Granted 2.6 is rather small but let's address the question asked

HI Peach
Freeze dried isn't the greatest diet, they can cause bloat and/or constipation. This might have been suggested already. Try re-hydrating the freeze dreid in some tank water. It might help.
As said above there is a variety of foods you can try, From our care sheet:

It may be a matter of weaning them off freeze dried. Mine love frozen (thawed) brine shrimp but will eat frozen blood worms.
Try to entice them by putting it right in front of their nose with blunt nosed tweezers.

Edit:
I'm sorry, I see you tried all those things. Sorry I didn't read thoroughly. I agree with the title.
Your frogs are fussy little cuties but like kids, they need to eat what is nutritious for them
What about live daphnia? I’m open to trying that. Oh an yeah I do rehydration of the worms first before feeding.

I'll have to see it's front feet are webbed. If not then it's a clawed and it'll need a 20g
He’s not a clawed. He’s an ADF. Please stay on topic.

mollybabes

I'm just trying to help.

Lucy

What about live daphnia? I’m open to trying that. Oh an yeah I do rehydration of the worms first before feeding.

You can try. It really looks like you've tried most foods.
Maybe fast them for a couple of days, not gonna hurt them, then introduce something better for them? They might be hungry enough to try something else.

Peach

You can try. It really looks like you've tried most foods.
Maybe fast them for a couple of days, not gonna hurt them, then introduce something better for them? They might be hungry enough to try something else.
I feed them every other day but I can try going for another day or two without and see if they’ll eat.

I’m probably just going to try live daphnia to be honest.

Princethepurplebetta

Id try the live daphnia. My frog SushI refused anything but freeze dried bloodworms for 2 months. I eventually got him to switch to pellets and frozen. He loves the BugBites community formula pellets, maybe try those if nothing else works?

Tol

I spot feed mine every 2 or 3 days with frozen bloodworms thawed in tank water. I have to use a plastic syringe otherwise the fish will steal it all. Mine also love Repashy Soilent Green and HikarI Algae wafers. My frogs have never eaten pellet food really. But yes they need a somewhat varied diet, bloodworms alone are not good. Frozen is better than freeze dried nutrient wise, but they still need other things.

FishMommer

I have 1 ADF only since November? He is fed only on
Zoo Med Aquatic Frog & Tadpole Food
for now. He seems to like it as he does eat it? I tried Freeze Dried worms, but they just float on top and the Penguin tetras eatthem. I have managed to get them to sink, but the no one eats them.

I was cutting back on feeding due to a bacteria bloom issue (probably brought on by me overfeeding due to stressing about the frog). I feel your pain. At one point when the food was more limited I did catch him eating a large piece of Fluval flake food. Guess he was hungry enough. But I haven't see that since. I am hoping to get some frozen blood worms and see if he will go for them (and maybe in the future Blackworms).

Hope some of this may help? I just drop the pellets in right now. He finds them among the rocks on the bottom. They are tiny and it takes him time, but he does eat them. And he is growing and shedding his skin. Freaked me out first time I saw it. They reportedly will eat that too? Haven't witnessed him eating it. Good luck. I know how stressful it is worrying about those cuties!

FishMommer

I have also broken up an Algae wafer (recommended by salesgirl). He does it them. I break them again to keep the uneaten amount at bay.

FishMommer

So I was looking up feeding ADFs and was able to find this somehow... We are hoping to get 3 more or so and I was wondering about things. It does state *bloodworms* feed sparingly *IF AT ALL*?

Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs

skar

I feed them every other day but I can try going for another day or two without and see if they’ll eat.

I’m probably just going to try live daphnia to be honest.

I recommend trying beef heart.
My frog goes for it without any intervention on my part.
Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jxulii
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mandy627
Replies
Views
Fizzfrog