Fussy eater Help

1. z

zergdaddy New Member Member

Hello...I have a African cichlid.I have only had him home for a couple of days now.I haven't had much success in getting him to feed so far.Today I tried to feed him krill he ate it but soon spit it out?I thought maby he didn't like the soft shell on it so i tried to peel it.He grabbed it again but kept it in his mouth longer but still spit some of it out.They were small chunks of krill cause I cut them up.Tried a medium pellet that floats he grabbed 1 but again spit it out and will not attempt another.Tried african attack small pellets but they are really tiny and he seems uninterested?I am beginning to get worried about him I want him to eat.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I am very new to this.Thanks.

One other thing.When I buy frozen blood worms/krill etc.how do i feed it to him.I am assuming you thaw it out before attempting to feed it to him?Do blood worms make a mess of the water they seem pretty messy?They are very small as well do you drop a small pile in at once or try and feed 1 worm at a time?Thanks again.

:animal0068:Hello. I have merged your posts to save some space. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts should there not be any responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish may just need a little time to settle in before he starts to eat or he might be a fussy eater. Is it showing any other unusual behaviour like scratching/rubbing against objects in the tank, rapid gill rate/rapid breathing, any spots or other obvious injuries? Does the stomach appear bloated/fat? Most importantly what are the GH, KH, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate readings for your water if you know them?

Defrost frozen food in a bit of tank water in a plastic cup. Just pour as much in the tank as the fish will eat in 2-3mins. Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge. Just leave the extra in the water in the cup & wrap the whole lot up in a plastic bag.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Some fish take longer than others to acclimate to their new environment. If you've only had him for a couple of days then I wouldn't worry just yet. Some of my Silver Dollars took a week to 10 days to become active and feel like they were home.
    Best of luck!
    Ken