Fussy betta?

Allie
I've read that some people have betta who won't eat just anything. I have yet to experience this. All my boys and girls I had, would eat everything, even when they shouldn't. Today I fed Casper peas for the first time. He LOVED it. They will accept everything but Wardleys Betta pellets (cheap kind).
Anyone have a fussy betta?

FL CommunityFans
Sounds like he nose subquality food when he smells it!

Martinismommy
The only thing Will eats is flake food....I've tried the peas and the pellets and he turns his tail up at them....He is obviously getting what he needs considering the looks of him..He's fat healthy and colorful with the longest finage I have ever seen on a Betta fish.....I think he is just happy to be with me instead of Petco in a cup!

COBettaCouple
Our peach dalmation, Sora, would not eat anything other than bloodworms, peas and daphnia .. and strawberries. Even if he'd not eaten in days, he'd just look at anything else like "are you kidding?".

capekate
HI Allie
my girls will eat anything and everything! lol... they are such piggies. I feed my Bettas HikarI bio-gold pellets on a normal basis. The girls love frozen HikarI brine shrimp and bloodworms. Which I only treat them to once a week.Glory my one fussy male will not touch them and only comes up to eat about two pellets of the bio gold at each meal, then turns his nose to anymore and goes back and hangs out on his broadleaf. Guess he is watching his waistline lol.. Phoenix my year old will eat the bloodworms, but not the brine shrimp. None of them will touch any krill or daphina at all. And of course the peas.. nope, not interested at all either. But they all look healthy and happy regardless.

Allie
Our peach dalmation, Sora, would not eat anything other than bloodworms, peas and daphnia .. and strawberries. Even if he'd not eaten in days, he'd just look at anything else like "are you kidding?".
Strawberries?

Martinismommy
Strawberries?

I was thinking the same thing Allie...Strawberries???

Tazmiche
strawberries hey?!?!? I know they like melon

chickadee
Yes strawberries without the seeds. They love them (fresh ones) and will eat them like peas. We did an experiment one time and saw how many fresh fruits and veggies they would eat if you cut them up like you do the peas and it was amazing...

Grapes (no skin)
Pineapple
Strawberries
Honey Dew Melon
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Green Beans
Carrots (cooked or fresh)
Cucumber (no seeds)
ZucchinI (no rind)

Now this goes without saying that as with all things it does depend on the betta. You and I both know that there are fussy and picky bettas out there and I had one (the original Marty) who would not touch a thing but HikarI Freeze-dried Bloodworms and Freeze-dried Daphnia. It did not do any good to try the premium brands of bloodworms like OmegaOne as none of my spoiled babies would touch them and they were so much bigger that I had trouble with them being able to eat the without choking. I think that is what did it. The first day they went into the tanks they attacked them and some of them could not swallow them so they spit them out and that was that. I boxed up all the foods I spent a fortune on that they would not touch and mailed to a friend who says her fish will eat anything.

So feel free to experiment away as bettas will sometimes surprise you with what they like or will eat but be prepared to hear NO once in a while too. The general rule is that if we can eat it so can they, but I would not try anything canned as the processing and added ingredients (like salt) would not be good for them.

Rose

Allie
Yes strawberries without the seeds. They love them (fresh ones) and will eat them like peas. We did an experiment one time and saw how many fresh fruits and veggies they would eat if you cut them up like you do the peas and it was amazing...

Grapes (no skin)
Pineapple
Strawberries
Honey Dew Melon
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Green Beans
Carrots (cooked or fresh)
Cucumber (no seeds)
ZucchinI (no rind)

Now this goes without saying that as with all things it does depend on the betta. You and I both know that there are fussy and picky bettas out there and I had one (the original Marty) who would not touch a thing but HikarI Freeze-dried Bloodworms and Freeze-dried Daphnia. It did not do any good to try the premium brands of bloodworms like OmegaOne as none of my spoiled babies would touch them and they were so much bigger that I had trouble with them being able to eat the without choking. I think that is what did it. The first day they went into the tanks they attacked them and some of them could not swallow them so they spit them out and that was that. I boxed up all the foods I spent a fortune on that they would not touch and mailed to a friend who says her fish will eat anything.

So feel free to experiment away as bettas will sometimes surprise you with what they like or will eat but be prepared to hear NO once in a while too. The general rule is that if we can eat it so can they, but I would not try anything canned as the processing and added ingredients (like salt) would not be good for them.

Rose
Thanks for that info. That's awesome. I love feeding fish different people food. I wonder if I do try them out on fruits/vegies will they bum like my cats do for chicken and fish? * Picturing eating a slice of watermelon or fruit salad near betta tanks with all bettas looking at me with big puppy dog eyes*

KonaBoy
Both Zaboo and Poe have/will eat anything My dad says he used to feed his hamburger, he thought the protein would help.

chickadee
I think they would eat anything but always beg for more if they see it anywhere about. And, YES, they will haunt you with those eyes if they think it will get them fed. The thing is can you resist the temptation of those little eyes?

They are such fun but it is very important to keep from overfeeding with these foods too.

I forgot the following:

Raw Apple with no peel
Raw Fresh Pear with no peel
Raw Fresh Garlic

These items did NOT go over at all:

Banana
Orange
Other berries

Rose

Allie
I think they would eat anything but always beg for more if they see it anywhere about. And, YES, they will haunt you with those eyes if they think it will get them fed. The thing is can you resist the temptation of those little eyes?

They are such fun but it is very important to keep from overfeeding with these foods too.

I forgot the following:

Raw Apple with no peel
Raw Fresh Pear with no peel
Raw Fresh Garlic

These items did NOT go over at all:

Banana
Orange
Other berries

Rose
I can't imagine any fish liking oranges lol.

COBettaCouple
LOL.. yea, it's the strangest thing. of the Bettas we had then, only Sora (the finnicky one) would touch strawberries. They all sure did love the cantaloupe though.

pamd
My female betta, Candi, loves anything that resembles food, including but not limited to HikarI betta pellets, Atison's Betta Pro pellets, her cory cats' shrimp pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, cheap flakes, thawed frozen peas and my fingers.

CandI and I had some betta fun tonight testing strawberries, and sure enough she went for the tiny pieces I offered. Then I tried a piece of cooked shrimp. Wow, that was fun!

COBettaCouple
lol.. They're so much fun! CandI sounds like our Sweetie - a REAL good eater! What a great find your little CandI is.

pamd
lol.. They're so much fun! CandI sounds like our Sweetie - a REAL good eater! What a great find your little CandI is.
She *is* a great fish. One of the amazing things about her, much as she loves all kinds of foods, is that she doesn't consider her tiny, tiny Cory Cats food. She's very nice to them, at least so far. She's grown a lot and is now almost 2-1/2" long, at least five times the size of the biggest Cory and probably eight times the size of the tiniest one.

COBettaCouple
She sounds like she has a great temperment. Some are real easy-going, like Angel or Teddy Bear and she sounds like she's in that personality range. Some are like our little Chloe and I wouldn't put anything in Chloe's tank. She's a little sweetie with us, but so fiesty..

pamd
She sounds like she has a great temperment. Some are real easy-going, like Angel or Teddy Bear and she sounds like she's in that personality range. Some are like our little Chloe and I wouldn't put anything in Chloe's tank. She's a little sweetie with us, but so fiesty..
I'm not sure about CandI having a great temperament! She'll leap out of the water to bite my fingers! It amuses me to no end and I just think it's the most endearing thing. I know she's not supposed to do that and I tell her, "Bad, bad, bad fish! FAT FAT FAT!" She loves it when I talk to her that way, she has this way of "kissing" with her big red lips.

I'm very glad CandI doesn't seem to think her Cory Cats are food.

COBettaCouple
LOL.. I love that! Don't be surprised if she knows that doing that makes you happy and she's having fun playing with you. ;D

I'm not sure about CandI having a great temperament! She'll leap out of the water to bite my fingers! It amuses me to no end and I just think it's the most endearing thing. I know she's not supposed to do that and I tell her, "Bad, bad, bad fish! FAT FAT FAT!" She loves it when I talk to her that way, she has this way of "kissing" with her big red lips.

I'm very glad CandI doesn't seem to think her Cory Cats are food.

Tazmiche
CandI sounds like Sky. He jumps and nips me too BUT if I am too quick with the next pellet and he hasn't finished chewing he flares and exaggerates his chomping. It kills me everytime, so cute and funny!!

COBettaCouple
I know they want to be fierce, but those betta temper tantrums are just so funny.. but don't let them see you laugh.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Alexolotl
Replies
Views
Youta14
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views