Furious!!!

Jen86

Active Member
Member
Messages
332
Reaction score
231
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
More than 10 years
My sister in law took my 6yo daughter to a fair, and brought her home with this.

20170917_151309.jpg


Three goldfish. Are you KIDDING me?

Sister in law saw how **** I was and said, "Oh, don't worry, I bought a tank for them."

Quick, want to see the "tank" she bought?

20170917_151326.jpg


1 gallon. For 3 fish. Are. You. KIDDING ME?

These things get huge! I don't have the space for these things. I don't have the money for a tank big enough for them.

So I've spent the last hour screaming every curse word in every language I know.

What am I supposed to do? How do I get rid of these things without killing/hurting them or devastating my kid?
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
4,610
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fine someone who has a pond, give the goldies to them. The kids will just have to understand that the little fishies will become big fishies and need a big home.
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
4,610
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also, get the receipt and return that fish killing box. It isn't fit for any sort of aquatic critter.
 

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
2,766
I am so sorry.

In the meanwhile, do you have a big Rubbermaid or sterilite bin you can put them in? If not you can get one at Walmart for around $7. (Return the death trap your sister bought and that should be enough money to buy a bin). A 40+ gallon should hold them over for a month or so (with lots of water changes, of course) until you can find them a better home.

I'd take them if I had the space but unfortunately I don't. Maybe you can see on the BSTF forum if anyone has a pond that wants them? Or craigslist?
 

Lucy

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
45,395
Reaction score
2,646
Location
USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh dear! Ponds are nice
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,076
Reaction score
1,015
Location
Az
Experience
2 years
Give them to your LFS. I do not recommend Petco or Petsmart, so avoid it if you can.
Maybe make this a teaching moment for your kid. Explain that they get super big, and really shouldn't be in tanks unless they are huge.
Get rid of that "tank" that she bought and tell her to research why it can't really hold anything alive.
 

Neptune334

Active Member
Member
Messages
278
Reaction score
135
Experience
Just started
Yikes. I can't even imagine those 3 goldfish fitting in that little death tank. I agree with what has been said above. Tell your daughter the truth about the fish getting too big and bring them to someone with a pond. Offer to get her a betta and an appropriate tank.
 

FishFish221

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,287
Reaction score
1,500
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
3 years
You can also take them to a pet store that has full grown goldfish (or koi, its not the same but looks like goldfish, and should prevent them from getting goldfish), and tell them that's how large the fish will grow.
 

Ken Ooi

Active Member
Member
Messages
355
Reaction score
69
Location
Sydney
Experience
5 years
Jen86 said:
My sister in law took my 6yo daughter to a fair, and brought her home with this.

20170917_151309.jpg


Three goldfish. Are you KIDDING me?

Sister in law saw how **** I was and said, "Oh, don't worry, I bought a tank for them."

Quick, want to see the "tank" she bought?

20170917_151326.jpg


1 gallon. For 3 fish. Are. You. KIDDING ME?

These things get huge! I don't have the space for these things. I don't have the money for a tank big enough for them.

So I've spent the last hour screaming every curse word in every language I know.

What am I supposed to do? How do I get rid of these things without killing/hurting them or devastating my kid?
A lot of people get introduced into the hobby fish keeping world through this at a fun fair. Fish can be fun only if you're well prepared to look after it. A lot of people do get gifts like a cat or dog which can not be a good idea if the person doesn't like animals or have the time. You'll have to give that fish away but I'm sure you can find people who do keep fish or your local pet store might take it.

I have been keeping fish for 2 years and while I was young. If changing water is not what you like then don't even consider keeping a Betta or some other fish. Alternatively you can keep hermit crabs in that tiny tank?
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,076
Reaction score
1,015
Location
Az
Experience
2 years
Ken Ooi said:
A lot of people get introduced into the hobby fish keeping world through this at a fun fair. Fish can be fun only if you're well prepared to look after it. A lot of people do get gifts like a cat or dog which can not be a good idea if the person doesn't like animals or have the time. You'll have to give that fish away but I'm sure you can find people who do keep fish or your local pet store might take it.

I have been keeping fish for 2 years and while I was young. If changing water is not what you like then don't even consider keeping a Betta or some other fish. Alternatively you can keep hermit crabs in that tiny tank?
Actually, hermit crabs need about 10 gallons.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,325
Reaction score
14,932
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh what a sweet sister in law. (Strangle her) lol
 

FlutterFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
540
Location
Manhattan, NY
Experience
4 years
Pretty sure that the container they came in is bigger than the 1 gallon she's trying to put them into.

Honestly, just sit down and tell your kid the truth about stunting. Go along with the lines of :

"You want these fish to be happy, right? Well, if your aunt buys a tank that small, they will stop growing and but their intestines won't, causing them to be in extreme pain for the rest of their lives. Or they'll die from ammonia burns, another extremely painful process."

I'm sorry, I'm not the most sensitive person in the world.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,325
Reaction score
14,932
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Sadly most of it comes down to most people have never seen a goldfish that survived more than a few months. I even have to admit I never seen a grown goldfish till I was like 30. I didn't even know exactly what it was at first. Lol
 

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,225
Location
Wellington, NZ
Experience
More than 10 years
conniedavid1978 said:
Sadly most of it comes down to most people have never seen a goldfish that survived more than a few months. I even have to admit I never seen a grown goldfish till I was like 30. I didn't even know exactly what it was at first. Lol
It's not easy even finding pictures of full grown comets. Try searching for "Adult comet coldfish" Literally, 2-3 out of the first hundred pics are large adults, the rest are small ones. And most of the big ones referencing how freakishly large they are...
 

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,139
Reaction score
5,006
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
To most people, goldfish are disposable creatures. It's kind of like red eared sliders were when turtles were still dirt cheap. If I had thought my 3 female red ears bought for pocket change in 1984 would still be with me now, I would have laughed at you. But here they are, elderly, active turtles.
My fundamental rule is no live gifts, ever. I will help a person find something, but live surprises are a bad idea,
 

FlutterFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
757
Reaction score
540
Location
Manhattan, NY
Experience
4 years
This is why I don't let my cousins go to fairs. They also whine to do buy the fish, and I just tell them the story of the stunting process.

I do get dirty looks from my aunts and uncles, but at least they don't have dying goldfish to worry about.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,325
Reaction score
14,932
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Worst my wife and daughters did to me was come home with two goldfish. Thankfully I had a 55 albut setup so not too big of a deal. They had ammonia burns real bad so they didn't make it. Kinda glad kinda sad deal.
 

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,834
Reaction score
2,774
Location
Portland, OR
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you might have come pretty strong to your sister in law(SIL). She obviously wasn't experienced in the aquarium field.

Your smart and you'll find a way to deal with the fish. But yelling every curse word to your SIL only makes you look bad not only to her and your daughter but to other family members who hear about this.

Rehome the fish, get credit and destroy the one gallon tank.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
205
Guests online
3,024
Total visitors
3,229

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom