Furan2 And Maracyn Two Bath?

tokiodreamy
I have a neon tetra with a fuzzy white patch on her gill. I've tried a week of meth blue dips and had no luck. It only got bigger. I'm looking to treat with furan2 and maracyn two (which has worked successfully for me in the past). I read online on a coulminaris page that you can do baths with these meds but the packaging doesn't mention it. My 10 gallon QT is full with fish looking to go into this 20 gallon tank with the neon.

--------------------

I have two options:
• Do baths in a 5 gallon bucket.

• Buy a 5.5g/10g and treat. I'll need to buy another heater, siphon, air pump etc. I may have an old tetra internal filter lying around. I'm hesitant because of cost.

-------------------

If I can do baths, what's the time/dosage amount?

I didn't have issues last time with these meds and BB. But it does say on the box it may kill my cycle.

Should I treat both neons? There's only 2 in the tank. Only 1 has the white patch but the other has a few white spots on the tip of the fins (not ich).

TexasDomer Aquaphobia Discusluv

Advertisement
Whitewolf
There is no need to treat "fungus" as it is such. Fungus really dosent just "grow" on live healthy tissue, at least not often. It seems like maybe its bacterial in nature, so the better treatment would be a gram + antibiotic (maracyn 1)
I would not combine furan with tetracycline antibiotics, I'm sure you could google it tho. Just not needed. M. Blue kills fungus well, and can be combined with any antibiotoic. I'm not why it didnt work. Maybe its NTD?

Advertisement
tokiodreamy
There is no need to treat "fungus" as it is such. Fungus really dosent just "grow" on live healthy tissue, at least not often. It seems like maybe its bacterial in nature, so the better treatment would be a gram + antibiotic (maracyn 1)
I would not combine furan with tetracycline antibiotics, I'm sure you could google it tho. Just not needed. M. Blue kills fungus well, and can be combined with any antibiotoic. I'm not why it didnt work. Maybe its NTD?
I'm not seeing any lumps under the skin. The fins are ripped as well. I've personally never used meth blue before. I did 10s dips once daily. I saw on the same article they dipped in meth blue for 30m but it says on the bottle to not exceed 10s

Whitewolf
No no no, M blue can be used for as long as necessary, ive kept fish in M Blue for a week with daily water changes (it kills all BB)
If you only did a 30 second dip, it may not have been long enough.

tokiodreamy
Hmm... here's my bottle.

It says for dips, use 5 tsp for 3 g of water and don't exceed 10seconds

Attachments

• a501324965eece4a5e5e3f1ff6d5b74d.jpg
    a501324965eece4a5e5e3f1ff6d5b74d.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 9d1e741a4cd18c45f7941619df4b7c99.jpg
    9d1e741a4cd18c45f7941619df4b7c99.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 156
  • cd39382693e7cc9fa3b9bc0c81fe2bee.jpg
    cd39382693e7cc9fa3b9bc0c81fe2bee.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 145
Whitewolf
It depends on the concentration, its okay to use for extended periods as far is I know, I have done it countless times and it never killed my fish. Just don't make it too extremely blue. 2.5ml to 5ml per ten gallons is the right amount.
I assume its because they don't want ammonia to build up?
I think I did kill a betta one time when I made it extremely thick blue, but that was years ago. I'm not sure on this one, can only speak from personal experience.

Yes it says
"To aid in gernal disease prevention, use 5ml per ten gallons for nitrite or fungus until symptoms dissaper blah blah Use 5 teaspoons (25ml) per 3 gallons (that's alot) as a dip for no more than 10 seconds"
That must be it. Ive kept fry and sick fish in it numerous time over the years, up to a week at a time, and the only thing I do is change 50% of the water and dose with prime every day. It makes them healthy.

tokiodreamy
Yes it says
"To aid in gernal disease prevention, use 5ml per ten gallons for nitrite or fungus until symptoms dissaper blah blah Use 5 teaspoons (25ml) per 3 gallons (that's alot) as a dip for no more than 10 seconds"
That must be it. Ive kept fry and sick fish in it numerous time over the years, up to a week at a time, and the only thing I do is change 50% of the water and dose with prime every day. It makes them healthy.
So you're saying to use the 5ml per 10 gallon one instead as a bath rather than the dip?
Hmm...
Yeah it was extremely deep dark blue

Whitewolf
I'm not the final word on any disease, others I'm sure use a bath in a much darker solution than I do. I can only speak from personal experience.
I would think you would need longer than 10 seconds.
You can mix M blue with any antibiotic, so why not use it as a long term bath in a Q or hospital tank with an antibiotic.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tokiodreamy
Replies
Views
GeorgieGirl1003
Replies
Views
trahana
Replies
Views