Funny Things Your Fish Do

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tell me about the funny, unusual or interesting things your fish do. Is it a behavior they exhibit? Something you've trained them for? Something you caught them doing that made you laugh?

Here's mine:

I went to feed Bowie the other night and found him curled up in a little cave in his driftwood! What a weirdo! It was pretty funny, though, like a little kitty curled up in a bed...

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This morning my sweet Mango (endler boy) got stuck between a rock and the glass while he was searching for food :hilarious:. Luckily he got out. I didn't get a pic though. He was suprised/traumitized at first, not trying to get out, then he wriggled and forgot all about it.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some overly curious koi swordtails in one of my tanks, and by overly curious, I mean this particular group are worse than mollies lol. ANYTHING new in the tank, they'll hang around, try to eat it and generally make a nuisance of themselves. First time I *attempted* to use a syphon in their tank they all crowded around to see what the 'hose thingy' was, tried to eat it, wouldn't leave it alone no matter how many times I banged on the glass trying to scare them away to the other side of the tank.. Until finally I see one of them attempt to swim under the hose -unsuccessfully- lol. Watched it get sucked all the way up to the squeeze part before I quickly up-ended it and tipped it back out in the tank thinking 'you deserved everything you got' lol. Fish wasn't harmed but I won't attempt to use a syphon in that tank again, will have to stick with the jug lol.

Oh, and the same swordtails vs a ramshorn snail? Had to remove the poor snail after only a few minutes because they were all crowded around trying to eat it, stuck my arm in to remove the snail and they all wondered if my arm was edible too lol.. I've never had swordtails this curious before, I'd expect it from mollies but not these guys!

The Aquatic Weasel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have some overly curious koi swordtails in one of my tanks, and by overly curious, I mean this particular group are worse than mollies lol. ANYTHING new in the tank, they'll hang around, try to eat it and generally make a nuisance of themselves. First time I *attempted* to use a syphon in their tank they all crowded around to see what the 'hose thingy' was, tried to eat it, wouldn't leave it alone no matter how many times I banged on the glass trying to scare them away to the other side of the tank.. Until finally I see one of them attempt to swim under the hose -unsuccessfully- lol. Watched it get sucked all the way up to the squeeze part before I quickly up-ended it and tipped it back out in the tank thinking 'you deserved everything you got' lol. Fish wasn't harmed but I won't attempt to use a syphon in that tank again, will have to stick with the jug lol.

Oh, and the same swordtails vs a ramshorn snail? Had to remove the poor snail after only a few minutes because they were all crowded around trying to eat it, stuck my arm in to remove the snail and they all wondered if my arm was edible too lol.. I've never had swordtails this curious before, I'd expect it from mollies but not these guys!
same thing happens with my endlers. When I use my 5 mL syringe to test water they think its food. They'll spend hours searching for food. They have terriotrial fights only over food, especially with Mango and Leopard, the fiestiest.

VeiltailKing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My ornery little EBR likes to “bite” me anytime my finger or hand gets close to the surface of the water. Even when I stick my hand in the water she tries to attack me lol

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
same thing happens with my endlers. When I use my 5 mL syringe to test water they think its food. They'll spend hours searching for food. They have terriotrial fights only over food, especially with Mango and Leopard, the fiestiest.
lol whenever I buy something from a shop that has guppies / endlers / white clouds in the same tank, they literally swim straight into the bag/jug and give the shopkeeper a hard time trying to keep them out lol.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my otos has learned how to graze on the biofilm at the surface of the water, upside down. Or it’s finding leftover real food (the flake i feed this tank is finely powdered).

Ash Paws

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tell me about the funny, unusual or interesting things your fish do. Is it a behavior they exhibit? Something you've trained them for? Something you caught them doing that made you laugh?

Here's mine:

I went to feed Bowie the other night and found him curled up in a little cave in his driftwood! What a weirdo! It was pretty funny, though, like a little kitty curled up in a bed...
My crazy molly Hermes loves food so much. His favorite is peas. Sometimes after I feed them there are these little pea shells and he is constantly pecking at them but never gets a piece! And sometimes he will just peck the corners of the tank or the gravel...he is so funny

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dean sleeps in his log every night! I think he jumps into it? (This was taken when I filled the tank, or else the water isnt that high)
qQCc_CYNEkXfX2t0m8bLurDakNrv_MLaUSnVzPEYnNrmeX8gePeC51_N1tSWccVvRifQZ-JqdQWCZ5cRUMs=w348-h618-no.jpg

iDkPMI9HDe5dgElYShsyaxx0JSt5wnt-h-yCC07AN04N5VymTqpU8y9vwCqFDUpXN0lehPX-ydEW9GnFKY2=w348-h618-no.jpg

My guppys also think they are minnows and school with them, LOL! And my snail and gourami used to sleep with each other every night in a tube.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my otos has learned how to graze on the biofilm at the surface of the water, upside down. Or it’s finding leftover real food (the flake i feed this tank is finely powdered).
It's really a snail, trapped in an Otos body

NanaW

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My boy likes to sleep in his floating log he actually pushes so he can see me when he is in there ! And I swear he watches TV if it’s on he is mesmerized by it and just stares at it when I turn it off he goes back to play lol

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My boy Beast has dug out a spot under some drift wood. I was watching him last night while one of the young mystery snails was crawling to him. Right when the snail got to his cave he wound up and gave him a hockey stick that sent the poor snail spinning off into the aquarium.

An old shot of Beast.
_MG_7835 copy.jpg

TadpoleMadtom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My crayfish will occasionally be running and not paying attention where she is going and jump on a snail. She just stays there for about 30 seconds.

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My crayfish likes to run up his giant piece of driftwood and then jump off it. It's really funny to see how he makes a not so perfect landing almost in slow motion.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently bought some really small diamond tetras, and they are some of the most gutsy little things considering tetras. They will gun for food even in front of the angels. I've seen them snipe flakes from angels and book it to safety lol.

I have a very young jaguar cichlid growing out, it's probably about two inches now. It usually hides in the little caves I setup for it, but when I come out in the mornings and come home in the afternoons, he's always in the upper corner closest to the door looking out for me. Waiting for food. So funny, I will go stare at the tank and if he sees me he will stare back at me and slowly get closer to me, but if I put my hand up he will go hide. Such a weirdo.

I actually picked him out on a whim. Okay long story, I had been doing research and came across Jaguar cichlids and thought about keeping them one day, but way in the future when I can accommodate the spacing. I went to one of my lfs looking for diamond tetras, they only had one, so I browsed for what else they had. I saw the label on the seemingly empty tank. There was a flower pot in there. I thought I saw a fish in there when I walked up but didn't see it so thought I may have seen through the glass and saw the fish in the next tank over instead. That was until I noticed an eye peeking just barely through the drain hole at the bottom of the flower pot. The moment he noticed I spotted him he came out from behind the pot and came right up to the glass and just stared at me with this seemingly silly rascal grin on his face. And that's how I impulsively brought home a Jaguar Cichlid...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom