Funny Stories

BlueBetta

Reaction score
Hmm... Seems I post a lot. I think it's just because I'm new and need a break from studying for midterms.

Anyway thought it'd be cool to put start a topic on Funny Stories of things our bettas do

So my funny story is I have one of those real thermometers you stick on the inside of the glass. Fiction likes to sit on top of it. It's kind of cute. When he's on it he's right below the surface of the water, so air is just a few millimeters away for him ;D

BlueBetta

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas do odd little things like that. Rusty will sit on one particular plant and kind of mope sometimes.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I do a partial water change in Phlox's tank he nips at the cup I use to scoop water out and swims inside it. He refuses to get out and I have to chase him out with my finger!  ;D He also nips at the plants while I'm trying to rearrange them. He's either being playful or trying to help... either way it's too cute! 
He also likes to lie on top of the airstone and shower himself with bubbles or race up and down underneath the filter outlet!
He's an endless source of amusement!

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's so appealing when bettas do stuff like that...that to me is what makes them great pets. The fact that they are attractive fish is only part of the fun; the real enjoyment is the pleasure they take in life, their intelligence, curiousity and playfulness.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anyone who doesn't believe that a fish can have a personality, hasn't spent much time with a well-cared-for Betta. It is true that when they are in the little torture chambers in the stores, they do not look like much more than a pretty fish, until you look them in the eyes. If you know what you are seeing, they look into your soul!!

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Julian doesn't do too much, he is a pretty mellow betta. But he does love to spend his time nose down hunting for baby snails to knock off of the large rock.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Introducing a large Mystery snail into Phlox's environment has produced a lot of amusing scenes! Today I dropped an algae wafer into the tank near the snail for him to eat. I tried to distract Phlox so he wouldn't see it but he saw it and rushed over to get it. The snail was racing towards it as fast as a snail can go but of course Phlox beat him to it. He grabbed it in his mouth and literally picked it up and ran off with it like a puppy running off with your shoe! He dropped it and I picked it up and placed it directly in front of the snail. The snail quickly jumped on top of it and sat on it to keep Phlox from getting it. Phlox, being the little brat he is, couldn't leave well enough alone. He tried to pick at it under the snail but couldn't reach. Finally, he decided to knock the snail over and when he did the feisty snail refused to shrink into his shell in fear (he's not afraid of Phlox!) and instead lay sideways holding the algae wafer in his "flippers" like a squirrel holding a nut. He hung on desperately while he and Phlox wrestled over it (Phlox didn't bite him. He never really hurts the snail, he just wants the food) The snail continued to eat the wafer while Phlox nibbled on it from the other side. I couldn't stop laughing!
Phlox does love his snail buddy though! Every night he snuggles up right next to the snail and sleeps like that. I find him still sleeping next to the snail in the morning!

Here's a pic of my brat stealing the snail's food ;D

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rusty actually doesn't get along with his snail that well. In fact Nameless tends to avoid wandering into Rusty's front porch or around his favourite plant unless its dark. I think it fears for its appendages because Rusty hovers around curiously, never actually attacking but just seeming to casually ponder the snail's existence.

One of the coolest things about Rusty is how he demonstrates to those who doubt fish intelligence that he knows where I usually feed him, and when I approach the tank shaking the food container a little he will come dashing up there and hover, wriggling excitedly, sometimes so much that he misses the first pellet. I sometimes tap the water gently near it to let him know, and he'll turn around so that he is almost nose to tail and then grab it, then spin around looking for more. I've found that he is not so keen anymore to steal snail or cory food.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I felt so bad about Emma being alone in the tank and I saw the smallest Pygmy Cories at the store today and I know that this store has very good fish so I purchased a group of them. They are about 1/2" long without their fins and the smallest little fins I have seen. They made the Otos look like giants. I am going to keep them unless they outgrow the tank then I have a promise of returning them. They are listed as getting an inch to an 1 1/4" long adult size so I figure with my little 2" betta girl I was okay. (she is my smallest female) I do think they are so cute and they are not at all afraid of her. She is not in the least hostile to them or curious about their food so I think they will coexist fine. It is funny to see them together though. They are little apers. They follow each other around and whatever the leader does so do the others.

Rose

Aurora

Reaction score
I am amazed at the differnce in personalities my two guys have. I call the one rover because he plays dead like a dog. He has quarter size flat glass stones in his house and he loves to find a spot he can stick his head down in and then lay very still for long perionds of time. When He first started doing this trick he scared me several times causing me to panic and check on him at which point he pulls his head how, darts rapidly all around until he locates my position and then comes to the spot and waits for me to bend down and give him a kiss. He's like the little child you want to spank for scarring you to death but you can only grab them and give them a big hug! :

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose: I'm glad that you are going to experience the pleasure of having some corys in your house. They're very fun, in a totally different way from otos.

Aurora: That's really different...some bettas I guess will be very still but they are very individualistic and interesting fish. You obviously have one of those fish that likes attention in a direct way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom