Funny Mystery snail behavior

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Junne, Jan 7, 2013.

1. JunneFishlore LegendMember

My mystery snail ( Mini G ) has some pretty funny behavior!
    She is 6 months old now and almost the size of a golf ball!

This is her daily routine ( at least from what I see )

I put in a 3 inch slice of zucchini. I wait....
    about 17 minutes later ( I usually put the zucchini in the opposite side of where she is at ) I notice she "wakes" up and starts toward the zucchini. Give or take, she may be on it for a few minutes or all day.
    Today, she was on it for about 10 minutes, decided she had enough and wanted to "walk" it off. So off she went - around the entire tank not once, but twice. Then she found a nice spot to settle in, closed up shop and went to sleep...... LOL

I would say in about 3-6 hours, she will wake up again, wash, rinse, repeat!!!

What funny things do your snails do????

2. kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

Snail surfing across the tank.... complements of the bubble bar, is a regular thing in one of my tanks! :)

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Today noticed one of my blues were crawling up one of the mangroves in her tank... she has been doing it quite often this last week... she hasn't been with any males so i know she isn't going to lay any eggs... idk what she's up too haha

4. JunneFishlore LegendMember

My Mini G regularly goes above the water line too! Scares me and of course I reach for the test kit to make sure nothing is wrong with my water..... There are no other snails ( her size anyway ) to mate with so I dunno know why she keeps going up there :mad: ( at least once a week )

None the less, snails amuse me :)

5. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

My two biggest have recently started climbing to the top, then releasing and partially closing up shop and either just floating around the surface or gliding down to the bottom. Then they sit on the bottom for a while before getting back up and about. The first couple times it scared the begeezus out of me!

6. JunneFishlore LegendMember

I had one that used to do the same thing - over and over and over..... Funny snails!

She was also the one who used to love getting a foot massage from the intake filter. :)
    This was the mother of my Mini G who passed away last month. :(

7. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

I'm so sorry Gigantor passed. I really enjoyed reading about her antics :(

8. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Aw thanks - she was a special girl ;)

9. NovemayuneValued MemberMember

My gold one (Fry) is getting to be quite large. Right now she and Nibbler are the two biggest- about the size of ping pong balls. And the ones I got from kb are growing like weeds too. For being snails, they're all very active little guys. I also added a black and an ivory as well, so I'm up to 7 snails now.

ETA: I'll have to snap photos of the magentas, the purple, the black, and the ivory after I get back home.

10. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Bong has taken to sleeping in the bomb decoration with Henry lol

When I got up this morning I couldn't find either of the apples or Henry so I had a closer look and they were all in the bomb lol guess it was a snail party ;)

11. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Bomb decoration? Pictures please!!! It sounds funny :giggle:

12. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357680921.744690.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357680981.237089.jpg

When I got it I was planning a fallout three themed tank (computer game ;)) but went in another direction but kept the bomb because I think it's kind of cool lol

13. JunneFishlore LegendMember

LOL it is cool!!! Where did you get such a thing? hahahaha

14. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Thank you :) I got it from my worst LFS when I was first setting up its a chain store called Pets at Home. I like it be because of course it looks cool lol and the holes in it are pretty large so loads of room for a betta and two snails ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  15. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I can't attribute complex emotions to snails, but I can tell you what it looks like.

I have a tank with three apple/mystery snails and two nerites. The golden is the size of a golf ball, with my ivory one just under that size. Those two, in so far as I can understand, seem to 'love' each other, or at least be very fond of each other. They follow each other all over the tank, cuddle (yes, cuddle) as well as mate. They like to touch each other's shells with their antennae.

Well the other day there was drama. Ivory has started fancying my black snail. Gold caught Ivory and Black mating and "appeared" to get very angry. He tried to separate them for the longest time, then left in a huff and holed up. (I say he, could be female, I don't know.)

Ever since then Ivory and Gold haven't cuddled as much, seem to be in separate sides of the tank. When Ivory comes near, Gold wanders off. Except for today, I saw them snuggling, which was nice to see again. I guess Gold is forgiving Ivory.

Anyway, it's a soap opera in that tank!

16. JunneFishlore LegendMember

OMG! Snail soaps!!! Quite endearing though.........

I know for sure that my Davy died of a broken heart. I seperated him and the female ( Gigantor ) for about a week and after he was sulking the entire time ( not eating, barely moving, etc ) I put him back in the tank with her - problem is, even after 3 + weeks, he never mated with her again, didn't even go near her and as far as I knew, never even saw her even when I put the two right next to each other. He just snailed off the other direction. A week later, he died. Just like that. No rhyme or reason but I KNOW it was due to a broken heart. He was with her every day for months before I seperated the two. :(

17. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Oh how sad. I believe it. Poor guy. :(

18. Cyndi WarrenValued MemberMember

I believe it too. My first mystery snail appeared to be dying, so, anticipating his demise, I bought a replacement. Well as soon as he noticed her it was love at first touch, sniff, or whatever snails perceive. He instantly came back to life and they cuddled and were mostly always together. Very sadly, the first snail died about a month later. Perhaps he was sick when I got him after all? There were a number of dead snails in his tank at the store.

Then I buried him in my oldest plant (a 30 yr old ficus tree) and a few days later, I read that they often close up and hybernate in the mud. Frantic, I dug him up saying, "Dude, I am so sorry!" lol But he was already decaying. So I was relieved he hadn't been suffering in there.

Thankuflly, the second snail seems to be okay without her. He has an orange mystery snail in the tank but mostly ignores her. Do snails mate for life? Doubtful.

My most recent snail antics were Aladdin and Abu the rabbit snail muscling each other over a piece of broccoli like a couple of dogs in slow motion. It made me laugh. I woke up in the middle of the night and peeked in. Abu was still eating. The next morning the broccoli was gone and Abu was hanging half out of his shell in the same spot in food coma. Hysterical. I now moderate his broccoli intake but he absolutely loves the stuff. He even hugs the stalk when he can't eat any more.

19. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Mine have taken to climbing to the top of their ornamental cave, and leaping off. Over and over again. It's funny to watch.

20. Cyndi WarrenValued MemberMember

Love your user name. Dori is my hero!!