Funny: Ladder to the Heavens

Discussion in 'Elodea' started by Elodea, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I noticed that one of my nerite snails was still crawling up a particularly long strand of anacharis he'd been on the last hour or so. It's kind of like a ladder, having to scale up one leaf after another.

Unfortunately, it leads to nothing but the surface of the water. Then Mr. Nerite will have to climb back down again. Poor snail.

*sigh* 4 hours of my day wasted.

Attached Files:

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lol poor guy...makes me want one.... hes so colorful !

3. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Haha my snails do climb the plants but after they get to the top they go suicidal and jump from the plant to the bottom of the tank or the first plant they can grab. hahahaha :party0009:

4. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Kinda like skydiving...cause the water is denser so they sink slowly and don't hurt themselves.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Your snail is wanting to go parasnailing. Once he reaches the top he may jump off and float in the current. :)

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Can snails jump? ROFL :;snail

7. konstargirl

konstargirl Well Known Member Member

^They can jump down. Gary does that all the time. Once his whole body was nearly out of the aquarium. That little climmer. yours too. ^__^

8. steed1172

you'd be surprised at what all snails can do lol,

i've notices my pond snails can magicaly float to the surface of the water and skim the surface... and then sink again :O.... stuff can't float AND sink, right?

9. OP
    OP
    Elodea

That's so cool, isn't it? It's like upside-down water striders. I've heard that mystery snails could do that, too. I've always wondered, how do they do that? Surface tension?

10. steed1172

idk... i know they can float for awhile with extra air.. maybe they get a little extra air, and their foot does the rest?

amazing critters though :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice