funny cory stories

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since there is a thread for this on the Betta board i thought it might be a good idea to but one here:

Well since I started this post, I'll start I was watching my Cories a bit a go i have two in my tank two are just busy looking for food while the other one was playing in the air stone bubbles he swims into it stops and when he gets to the top he swims out and does it again it is rather funny to watch any stories pls share

~Inari

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think corys are plain funny little fish. They roll their eyes around, they snuffle with their whiskers, and they are so busy as they scavenge. I like it when they do it as a school, that's neat.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love Cories. They are such a darling little fish. I bet once this thread has caught on it will be very full of cute stories. Come on folks let's hear 'em.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have 3 panda corries, but 2 of them have died .

I remember when I still had all three we had a storm outside and all three of the corries cuddled up together in the corner of the tank as if they were scared. It was very cute.

Gwenz

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is so cute mine did that on the ride home I had to take a bus back to my dorm room and they did that in the bag it was so funny...when i first introduced them to the tank the largest one, didn't want to leave the plastic bag and somehow he fought to stay there even tho the water was quickly draing out of it he wanted his plastic bag so i had resubmerge the bag and just flip it upside down he came out but wasn't too happy about it :) and yes ppl come on i know there are more funny stories of Cories they aren't boring like some fish can be lets hear ur story

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The middle sized cory in my little school sometimes swims upside down along the surface of the water. Not all the time, and maybe only once every couple of days. I'm not quite sure why or how, I had no idea that they could do that. But they are little acrobats, they can do stuff you had no idea fish could do. They sometimes turn somersaults, they weave little patterns along the glass.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i had a patch of brown algea on the back of my tank it was getting rather large due to the fact that finals are coming up and i have been forgeting to clean the algea up on the back of the tank one of them tried to do it for me the smallest one, apparently a neat freak, started rubbing his face on the glass to remove it got bored and went to pester Kappa my bamboo shrimp so now they give me hints too as if to say hey u lazy bum u missed a spot :-D

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL! ;D

In my Q tank - where Mo, my panda Cory, is at the moment, there are a few snails (how they got in there don't ask me - all the plants are fake ???). I feed Mo, Tetra Variety Flakes and he loves them - and so do the snails. When Mo has had enough I usualy see the snails eating the left over food. The food sinks to the bottom of the tank. Anyway, when I fed Mo this morning, I saw the snails and they were on his food as soon as it hit the bottom. Mo must have noticed and started headbutting the snails and pushing them off his food, as if to say "Go find your own food, this is mine". ;D It was realy funny seeing him push them. I've never seen him do that before. ;D

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My corys spend the day scurrying all over the tank looking for food, but at night all nine of them pile up together under one amazon sword leaf to sleep together  like puppies.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i swear the only fish in my tank that sleep are Inari and Kappa i swear to god the cories are busy looking for food almost 24/7 the oto is always stuck to something different this morning when i got up and checked on the tank i saw my three cories sleeping how inari likes to sleep on one of the crypts the oto was trying to sleep in the little plastic rocks but inar wasn't going to stand for that he chased it out and around the tank as if to say, "I"m bigger than u so u can't sleep there" funny interactions sometimes

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Pygmy Cories are the cutest little guys ever. I am just in love with little catfish. They are like a little ghost herd, since my tank has a serious algae problem, and as soon as they see me coming they dart away into the green "mist". I love the way they dart to the surface for air--they do it so fast all you see is a brown blur and a ripple on the surface.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My favorite event that has happened here recently is i got three speckled cories, now i had read that cories don't really interact with other species of cory...well apparently they never met MY panda cories or my new speckled cories. I now have two pandas my smallest one died :'( a while ago it was sad...anyway when i first introduced the speckled into my tank my largest panda was like, "**** who are you and why are u even here?" now when i come in late at night, they all scramble around as if to say, "Hey!! He's back, we need to ignore each other!" now the largest one must be blind because when they do this my panda cory thinks he is a speckled it is really cute and they also like to pester my algea eaters Sticky and Spasy it's really funny to watch

obusweetT

Reaction score
I just got my three cories today. They were a little sedintary at first but when I came home from the grocery store they were taking turns swimming up into the downdraft my filter makes. One would go up and the other two would sit and wait for their turn. It was very amusing!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
My Corys are active little fish, and they let no one get in the way. When I had more ghost shrimp, the Corys would be looking for food and would run right into the ghost shrimp if they were in the way, knocking the ghost shrimp over. They would also swim circles around a certain plant that they liked, and would follow each other around the tank, going back and forth along the back wall. Yes, they are hilarious to watch, and make any bad day a better one.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our little Julii cory cats did the "we like the bag thing" too.. i'm telling them "come on out, you have a nice big tank now" but they say "we're ok with the little bag, thanks anyways".. The corys in the platys tank sure have to work for their food.. the biggest platy likes to shove them out of her way - doesn't phase them though.. they'll swim around & go back to the spot they were in when she moves on.

Our funny story is about the 4 Julii Corys in 1 of the Betta tanks & shows they can learn fast. We have the tank done with peach marbles so I put blue gravel in a ovalish container and put it in the marbles (like a little lake in the peach 'land'). The 'lake' has a bridge over top of the middle where there's a dip dug out of the gravel that I put their algae wafer or shrimp pellets. Took a day or 2 and now almost 24/7 there's at least one Cory in there having a snack. They look so funny because the hole's deep enough you just see their back fins poking up & going all over as they eat and they are always checking that exact spot regularly when it's missing food, waiting for more to appear.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just took my betta out of my 10 gallon tank 'cause my ammonia was a bit high for him to deal with on a regular basis. I tell you that to say this, when he was in the tank I had to chop up all the food that wasn't his other wise he'd eat it all and then get fat and lazy (you betta keeps know what i'm talking about i'm sure) so now he sits in a smaller tank by himself and loves it!!! Anyway when i took him out i returned to feeding my corys with the full pellet things (looks like a brown colored aspirin) now when i drop in their food they carry the tabs and algea wafers around the tank trying to eat them it's really funny 'cause they know they can't eat them like that. They don't really pick it up but it looks like they are trying lol

It's really funny when they start teasing each other...they try to carry it about but can't so one of the other ones comes up head butts him in the side and tries to pick up the food and carry it away lol

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
inari said:
Well since I started this post, I'll start I was watching my Cories a bit a go i have two in my tank two are just busy looking for food while the other one was playing in the air stone bubbles he swims into it stops and when he gets to the top he swims out and does it again it is rather funny to watch any stories pls share

~Inari
I have one albino cory that does exactly this same thing. My g/f calls it the elevator ride. He swims into the bubble column swims as far down into it as he can, then it pushes him up and out. He does this over and over again, periodically stopping for a rest on a nearby rock. Hours of entertainment.

I was told by the LFS expert that cory's will interact with other coryadoras species - and that's been my experience with the one Albino and the Armored corys I keep. Sometimes it seems like the Albino is the little annoying brother, but they all hang out together affably.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is hilarious anyway I had read it somewhere online idk how reputable the source was lol and in my experience, I think cories are like dogs they just like the company

~inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
they will I think it is in their nature...Maybe right they are thinking "Hmmm those bubbles look pretty fun..."

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom