Funny Funny, But Serious Question...

Hannah M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So my new pea puffer tank is cycling and I'm very pleased with it (if only cycling happened faster) but my cat is very interested. He pays no real attention to main tank but this nano really has his curiousity piqued. He doesn't try to paddle in the water and isn't trying to get into the tank, he just enjoys sitting on top of it. I shut him out but he can open doors (see pics). My question is - how easy to pea puffers get scared enough to puff? How likely is it that my pea puffers will all inflate if my cat sits on the tank? I don't want him to frighten them to death...
IMG_20190806_001030.jpg
IMG_20190803_232905_221.jpg

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only ever saw my peas puff 2-3x. All those times seemed random with nothing going on, it was like they yawned and became a gumball then they went back to normal.
I tried to scare them into puffing by getting my face close to the tank and puffing up my cheeks, the peas failed to care about that. I tried waving at them, nothing. They never puffed up when hunting each other or being hunted.

Jords8595

Reaction score
So I got my puffers 2 weeks ago, the first water change was a traumatic experience to say the least, one of the baby puffers turned into a ping pong ball and it was terrifying. I think the reason this happened was because the siphon was scary and as the water level went down, the plants closed around the fish so it panicked. So I gather it is from immediate contact that they puff up, otherwise they’ll just hide, mine refuse to stay in the open if I’m near the tank, it’s funny to watch the swim away to hide because they will then sit in a plant and watch you around the room

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Theres deffently eye contact with something with @JenC cat. Yours on the lid seem to be liking the heat from the light or something like that, whatever the reason they are both adorable and I dont think you've any problems best wait and see, I've just put s reasonable amount of pressure on my lid the same and dont think theres fear of breaking it

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my new pea puffer tank is cycling and I'm very pleased with it (if only cycling happened faster) but my cat is very interested. He pays no real attention to main tank but this nano really has his curiousity piqued. He doesn't try to paddle in the water and isn't trying to get into the tank, he just enjoys sitting on top of it. I shut him out but he can open doors (see pics). My question is - how easy to pea puffers get scared enough to puff? How likely is it that my pea puffers will all inflate if my cat sits on the tank? I don't want him to frighten them to death...
View attachment 578384View attachment 578385

LOL my cat will jump to open doors too...honestly don’t even know he does it. I have a dog that cant figure out how to nudge a door open when it’s already half open let alone move the handle. my cat he doesn’t sit on the tank but sometimes in front of it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom