Funnest fish to watch?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by s2c2, Jul 16, 2015.

1. s2c2Valued MemberMember

Two questions:

1.) For a 10 gallon freshwater tank, what are the funnest- most active- fish to watch for stocking purposes?

2.) For a 30 gallon freshwater tank, same question. :)

I currently just have neon tetras and corydoras. I'm actually disappointed in the neons. They primarily stay in the back of the tank and aren't much fun to watch. However, I've only had them for a week and it's possible they're still just adjusting. The corys have been great to watch.

Thank you!

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

For highly active specimens that fit your tank size, you'd want to go with Danios. They're hyper and always on the go. They're like the energizer bunny on steroids... keeps on going and going...

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I second Danios for your 30 gal. I have some in my 55 gal and they are always on the go. Very pretty fish too!

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Forgot to mention I have 4 Royal Danios in the 75, and they're always moving. Even at night after the lights are out, I can see them moving.

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

My guppies are pretty entertaining since they're all over the place, swimming up and down, chasing each other, exploring every crevice of the tank and always looking for food. I think they're great for 10g and up.

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Second the guppy suggestion. My 3 males are the 3 amigos in my 36 gallon. They hang out, chase each other, and race each other from the bottom of the tank, up one corner, and then back down again. Very fun. They are also pretty funny to watch them flare or whatever you call it at each other. 2 will pair off and then chase each other's tails at the same time. So it's a little spiral guppy tornado of sorts.

7. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

For the 10g I would recommend chili rasboras, ember tetras, or guppies. Not all of those, but you could do either a school of 8-10 ember tetras or a school of 8-10 chili rasboras. Or you could have maybe 4 or 5 (maybe 6 if that's not overstocking) guppies. Or you could do a school of 6 of either of the schoolers and maybe 2 or 3 guppies (again, if that's not overstocking). All of these are pretty active and cool to watch imo.

For the 30g I think a nice school of harlequin rasboras would be nice, they're really active and I love mine :) I don't really know what else to suggest for the 30 but I'm sure others have ideas.

8. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

make a brackish tank for the 30 gallon throw in a figure 8 puffer. one of my favorite fish to look at. very entertaining. they have dog like personalities. but thats my opinion, that is if you want to go brackish.

9. OP
    OP
    s

s2c2Valued MemberMember

Thank you all! PuffPuff, the puffer is my favorite fish but I was hesitant to own one because of the food requirements. Is it expensive and/or challenging to feed them? Would you recommend only having the one puffer in the 30 gallon? Is it safe to have any other fish with them? Can one puffer live in the 10 gallon or is it not enough space? Thanks again!

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Puffers need to be in species-only tanks. Most times they are too aggressive and can't even be kept with other puffers...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. FishfinaticValued MemberMember

You could keep maybe 2 dwarf puffers in the 10 gallon. They are a freshwater species, although they probably won't take flakes or pellets

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You'd have to be careful since some puffers are conspecific aggressive also.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. lobstahlightsValued MemberMember

I only have the one critter, but my crayfish is awfully entertaining, even though she can't have any friends. She likes to climb through the bubbles and hang out on the silk plants. She plays with the marbles and (one tiny) sea shell, and when she sees me in front of the tank she runs at me with her claws up. Plus, molting is fascinating, if a bit harrowing.

I have her in a 10g now but she'll be getting a 20 long when she grows up. I know there are smaller species of cray that can stay in the 10.

14. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

2 dwarf puffers in a 10g is fine, as long as it's 2 females or one male and one female.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice