Fungus treatment options?

1. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so I came home today to find one of my gold barbs looking very pale in the tank. Upon closer inspection it looked like he had a go tee lol I realize that fish can't grow beards so I quickly threw together a hospital tank as the QT tank is in use.

The little guy is currently in a 2.5gal bowl with an air stone and pump while I try to figure out what to do for him.

I saw him in the tank originally scrapping up against the rocks in the tank but by the time I had setup the other tank he seems to have colored up a bit more and some of the fuzz is missing. Thou he looks like he tore up his left gill plate a bit but still might have a small patch on him.

What medication is best to treat the fish and what are the side effects if I have to treat the entire tank? There are no inverts in the tank currently.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

What did this fuzzy growth look like? Is it cottony? Could be the start of columnaris which requires very low heat and antibiotics.

Maybe some type of parasite. If this is the case, something like QuickCure may helpful.

As only this one fish has been affected I would start with daily water changes and lower the temperature if you suspect columnaris at all.

Good luck!

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am a big fan of a mixture of Pimafix and Melafix. I am sure you have heard of it, but if not it is an herbal plant based remedy. If you have to treat the whole tank it will not interfere with your cycle. I have had great succes with this mixture. Try Googling it.

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

thanks wendy! Im def gonna look those up I like natural remedies.

Dena, It is a white cottony patch on his "chin" and he was scraping on the rocks. I was thinking more fungal myself.

Another thing, this didn't show up until I started lowering the temp of that tank a bit for the summer, I don't know if its related or not but just trying to think of what I have done to the tank recently.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Both these products have their place, but I would not recommend them without knowing what is wrong. These products are not the cure all aka snake oil for everything wrong with our wet fins.

With spring comes an increase in columnaris reports. White cotton raised fluff is the first sign. I would keep the fish isolated and treat with Maracyn 1 and 2. Both products treat for gram negative and gram positive fungi, which is important with this disease. In order to slow this rapidly progressing disease, lower the water temperature to the low 70s. In the main tank, I'd also lower the temperature and do what you can to boost immunity. Fish vitamins, garlic, fresh foods, fresh water, etc.

Be prepared for the worst. This disease often wipes out entire tanks and acts very quickly. I nearly lost all fish in my 90G when I dealt with this disease. Fish would be fine, eating like the little piggies they are; but come home from work 10 hours later to find dead fish.

Hopefully you caught this early enough to stop it. The sooner antibiotics are given the greater chance for survival.

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

He is currently pouting in the hospital tank and will be checked tomorrow to see whats going on and the final call on treatment.