Fungus that is only on fins

mantarae88

Upon closer inspection of my betta, it seems that his fins aren’t only shredded from possible sharp decor, but that he indeed does have some sort of fungus.
He is eating and alert, no signs of illness otherwise. I do 50% water changes once a week. The only thing that could possibly cause this is from me over feeding once or twice. I try to remove most of the uneaten food when I do water changes. Thought the snail would eat some of the leftover food that falls to the bottom, but he doesn’t touch it.
Then I thought maybe there was a water quality problem, perhaps the tank is doing a mini cycle. But no, I tested and: ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0-5 ppm. The tank is cycled, I’ve had it for a few months and monitor water parameters once in awhile to be sure.
Im not sure what else could be causing this? His fins look shredded, mainly his pectoral fins. He used to be a beautiful dumbo ear and now he’s looking scraggly and I have no idea why.
Whenever I search “betta fin fungus” it only shows pics of cotton like fungus on the head and body, but in my case it’s ONLY on the fins. Which is why I decided to ask here instead. There’s a little cotton chunk on his pectoral, and another sort of whisp like piece on his bottom fin right behind his vent. None on his body. His colours seem to be fine. Just shredded fins and 2 small chunks of fungus. He doesn’t exactly eat as much as he used too, but still eats at least a pellet/flake or two. I wonder if that’s something to do with it. Been this way for a couple of weeks.
Will water changes help? I’m just confused because my water parameters are perfect. Perhaps there’s an excess of organic matter decomposing in the tank?
5 gal, one betta, one nerite snail, a few live plants.
Thanks

BigManAquatics

Longer finned bettas can be sensitive to little things. I would add a smaller water change along with your weekly change for a few weeks see if it helps clear up fin issues. Thats usually where i start with mine. Generally seems to help for whatever reasons.

Upvote 0

mantarae88

Longer finned bettas can be sensitive to little things. I would add a smaller water change along with your weekly change for a few weeks see if it helps clear up fin issues. Thats usually where i start with mine. Generally seems to help for whatever reasons.
That’s the weird part, he’s a plakat (dumbo ear plakat). Although the fungus mainly seems to appear on his “dumbo ear” fins. I’ll see if he improves at all. Thanks for the input

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SaltyPhone
Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies