fungus? rot? something else?

1. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

I was hoping to never post in this forum... but here I am.

I woke up this morning to something on one of my fish and I need help identifying it. I'm pretty sure I jinxed myself because two days ago I was telling my wife that my proudest thing with the fish tank was the absence of disease.

Background on the fish/tank:
    - Tank has been running since February, fishless cycled, fish added February 25.
    - Fish in question (harelquin rasboras) were in quarantine for 4 weeks with no concerns before being added on June 1.
    - No new additions to livestock (except what the shrimp produce) since then. Only additions have been plants and now running DIY CO2.

- 40-60% water change weekly every Wednesday.
    - Dosing the tank with Stability every water change just in case, Flourish 2-3 times a week and nothing else.
    - 50% water change last Wednesday (4 days ago).

Parameters this morning (after I noticed the problem):
    pH: 7.8
    ammonia/nitrite/nitrate: 0/0/5
    TDS: unchanged at 476 (same range as tap)
    temp: 75.2 (ranges from 75-79)
    (API master test kit)

No other fish are showing any signs of anything for concern.

I have a ready to go hospital tank I can set up if needed. I have inverts in tank that may be intolerant to some medicines to treat the whole tank (amano shrimp, red cherry shrimp, nerite snails and one african dwarf frog).

Pictures of fish in question. It is only one fish, and only on one side at base of top fin and on tail. The spot at the front of the fin bulges out some.
    fBIrbhH.jpg View attachment wQGdCg8.jpg View attachment iDQ5ni8.jpg View attachment t5ITEgJ.jpg View attachment pNbYh7R.jpg

I am off to do a 40% water change while I wait for replies. Thank you all in advance.

2. OP
    OP
    scottishduck

Update: 40% water change done.

While I was doing it, I noticed another rasbora with a different problem... part of his fin was missing. It's the top portion of his tail. I'm assuming this is from aggression or nipping? I've never seen a problem with any of them for the first month in the tank until this morning. Could both problems stem from aggression? I've never seen any aggression from any of them, but I don't watch them 24/7...

Also, with the DIY CO2 the tank pH has dropped from 8.1 to 7.8 over the last couple days. It's slow enough that everything should be fine, but maybe if there was an underlying problem this helped bring it out?

Fish missing part of fin:
    g1nA35F.jpg rbSPlcy.jpg

3. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Bacteria
    I could go on to explain bacterial ailments in aquarium fish but frankly who cares its 12am on july 5th
    You may want to read up on columnaris, tho this could be any of several major types of bacteria yada yasda yada
    I would just cull it and get a diffrent one before it makes them all sick

4. OP
    OP
    scottishduck

Thanks for the reply.

I took both the fish out and put them in my hospital tank and am treating with erythromycin. They both seem to be doing better and today is day 3. The one with the tail bit missing is growing back nicely and I'll probably add it back in after this course of medicine. The spots on the other one have all but disappeared. None of the other fish in the tank (as of last night) have any symptoms of anything, but I'll check again today.

I probably pick up some furan-2 and kanamycin to treat after this course is done to treat the possibility of columnaris though.

Either way, I won't be quick to throw them back in the main tank any time soon!

Thanks for the tips.

5. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

For fungal and bacterial infections I use API Pimafix

6. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

1467725179566.jpg

7. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

If i were you i would order kanamycin or OXYtetracycline flakes from angelsplus herer is a link Erythomycin is for gram + bacteria and most fish diseases are gram negative
    http://angelsplus.com/FlakeMedAntibiotic.htm
    This is cheaper, will last you years, and goes straight into the fish no waste absorbed quickly

8. OP
    OP
    scottishduck

After a course of antibiotics, they appear to be pulling through.

I've seen no signs on any other fish in my main tank.

The two I have in quarantine have recovered, mostly. (side question: when you quarantine schooling fish, should you quarantine them in a school for comfort? I assume no due to possible disease spread. thoughts?)

The one that was missing part of his tail has had it grow back to 60+% of its size (based on the size of the bottom fin). It also never showed signs of infection.

The one that had the white fuzz, whatever it is, is mostly better. There is no more white on him, but where it was is now a buldge. Like scar tissue healing or something. Hopefully it goes away.

For more information/posterity - in case others have similar symptoms:
    Because of what I could get my hands on easily, I did a 6 day daily course of Maracyn 1 (erythromycin), a 5 day daily course of Maracyn 2 (minocycline), and a 6 day (so far) every other day course of kanaplex (kanamycin). I finished the Maracyn courses once started (because you never stop a course of antibiotics once started!) even though the fish didn't fully respond until the Kanaplex was added.

I am considering moving the tailless wonder back to the main tank and monitoring buldgie through a few more doses of Kanaplex to see if he fully heals first. Thoughts?