Fungus? Plus fin rot Help

1. escapay Well Known Member Member

Today I spotted some white fuzz on one of my bettas in my 10 gallon. Yuck.

Parameters updated on Aquarium Info, but here they are again:
    pH: 6.0 or less (I've got really soft water here, so the carbonate hardness could just be really low like usual)
    ammonia: 0-.25ppm ... I think it looks yellow now, but my boyfriend thought it looked closer to the .25
    nitrite: 0ppm
    nitrates: 40-80ppm ... the two colors look exactly the same to me. This is the same result I had on Friday when I did a 50+% water change.

I posted the pictures of the bettas. The darker colored one is the one with the white fuzz. The part on his cheek fell off within about 5 minutes after I took that picture. Not sure if he rubbed up against something or what. The lighter one has fin rot and has had it before he was put in the tank. We're attempting to battle that with water changes and when they are fed pellets, soaking them in Vita-Chem.

What is the white fuzz? Is it contagious? Do I have to do something about that beyond water changes? Should I quarantine one or both of them?

Also, why would my nitrates not go down even with a large water change? I have plants - shouldn't they be eating some nitrates?

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Check your tap water for Nitrates.

Overfeeding will also cause your Nitrates to stay high.
    Carol

3. escapay Well Known Member Member

I shall check tap water later this evening.

And no chance I'm overfeeding these guys -- they each get 2 pellets every 2-3 days at this time since there had been that ammonia in the tank.

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Any particular reason the temp is only 73? These guys are big time tropics, they like it in the high 70s low 80s. The reason they have finrot no doubt is due to the low temp. Id slowly take it up to 78-82, then add 1tbsp of dissolved aquairum salt to a bucket of water and do a water change with it. That should take care of both the finrot and fungus. Combine it with weekly 50% WC
    You may want to invest into some nitrate loving plants
    Wisteria
    Anubias
    Java fern
    Anarchis
    Crypts

Most free floating plants absorbe nitrate well too.

5. escapay Well Known Member Member

Nitrates in tap water are at 0ppm.

With a new heater, the temperature will hopefully be fixed. I turned it down to "64F" from "68F" on the 17th because the temperatures were creeping up to at least 82F and the light was still on. I didn't want it to fry my fish. It dropped down to, according to my thermometer, 73F when I read it before and it is at 75F now with room temperature being 69F.

I think I will be moving that tank further to the left of its current location and put it further away from the wall heater. I'd rather have the 20 gallon quarantine (once that is up) closer to the heater than the 10 gal.

How can I take the temperature back up slowly if there is the 5 degree jump? Or do I just wait until I get my new Aqueon Pro heater? -- should have it soonest by Wednesday, latest techncially should be next Monday.

Also, i do have some of those plants - I was sold Wisteria (might be watersprite instead), I have Java Fern and Crypts in the tank too.

I'll do the next water change later today after my exam... Can I just have the fish do a salt bath instead? I've not added aquarium salt to my tanks for a long while and never this tank.

Looks like the fungus is now developing on the pinker betta and the other has the fuzz now appearing gray in color instead.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like your really need that salt IN the water. The wall heater may be throwing your tank heater off, your not suppose to keep them near any heating of cooling elements. Do you have water circulation in the tank? With the heater you should jus slowly turn the dial every hour or so until it reads what you want.

7. escapay Well Known Member Member

There is the HOB filter on the back... it is a Tetra Whisper 10. My airstone didn't produce much bubbles so that has been off for maybe two weeks now.

And again, can't adjust the heater slowly. It has 4 degree increments. So it is either 73-75 or 80-82. I realize this is a crappy heater because of that inability. I'm hoping with the new one it will work out better for me.

Last night I did a 50% water change with a tablespoon dissolved in the new water (as well as Prime).

It looks like the darker betta is having his caudal fin tearing off... see the photo attached.

Attached Files:

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, so why not put it at 80-86 area.

9. escapay Well Known Member Member

Will do. Just changed the temperature gage to be able to go up to 80-82F. New Aqueon Pro heater should be here today. :)

Just did a little over 50% water change, dissolving salt in the new water. Plus adding Prime.

Also been doing some reading here and there. Is salt bad for planted aquariums? Should I use Stress Coat instead of Prime?

Will test water in just a moment... and no worries, I grabbed some tank water BEFORE starting the water change. ;)

*edit*
    Water parameters are as follows before water change:
    pH - 6.0 or less
    ammonia - 0ppm
    nitrite - 0ppm
    nitrate - 40ppm

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Salt can be bad for plants, depends on the plants and how much salt, however i cannot supply an answer as to how much salt any specific plant can take. Stress coat or prime are fine i belive. The nitrates just scare me. They wont really do tooo much to him but they certainly dont need to be up there. Try doing another 20-30% WC in 2 days and see if they wont go down. Its possible they were just really high and are taking a few WC to get down.

11. escapay Well Known Member Member

New problem -- the darker betta has his "chin"? area extended... I took a picture and hopefully that shows it well. I don't know what this means. He did have difficulty with eating his food last night. Even though I did soak it in Vita-Chem before their water change. The lighter betta does not show this...

Also, now have the new heater installed. It was at 76F and was in process of heating. I will likely be raising the temperature set to a couple degrees higher in the next 24 hours or so. Probably tomorrow since I will be able to watch and set it without other life interfering.

Salt treatment was stopped due to possibly harming my plants. Water changes are my new task and have been doing 20-25% water changes almost daily.

Also, today I added API Stress Coat - no water change yet today... that will be done in the evening after work.

Attached Files:

12. escapay Well Known Member Member

A few days ago we started to add a small quanity of crushed coral in a media filter bag to gradually raise the KH so the pH wouldn't be too low.

Unfortunately all of this going on was too much for my poor betta. :( He passed away yesterday morning.

Either way - I'm continuing the crushed coral and water changes to make sure my other betta will get through this. I've had these bettas for over two years and I don't want to lose the other one yet. The good news is now the betta has the whole 10 gallon to himself.

Thanks for the assistance! I still will need to get the KH and pH under control, and keep working on those nitrates. If some of the plants are causing the issues as well, then I'd be happy to remove them.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Oh no!!! Im so sorry for the loss of your boy :( I hope your other guy makes it!! You have had them awhile and who knows how long they were living in the conditions they were when you got them.

I would also keep some crushed coral in the tanks to keep the ph up. Im wondering if you are really banging the nitrate bottles on a hard surface before using them? The crystals are really tough to mix up. I ask this because with no nitrates in your tap, and you doing such frequent water changes, bettas are not messy fish to make the nitrates that high.

I would also keep up with the prime, some stress coat, and partial small water changes for his fins. It will take a couple weeks to heal the fins, and adding some fresh garlic juice to his food, will help built his immune system.

If you see him struggling in the 10g tank, think about maybe buying a breeders net to hang on the side. That way he wont struggle to get to the top for air , and you can target feed him easier .

Goodluck to you and your boy!!!