Fungus On Swordtail?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Morgan Wise, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Morgan WiseNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    10g
    How long has the tank been running?
    1 year
    Does it have a filter?
    Yes
    Does it have a heater?
    Yes
    What is the water temperature?
    77 degrees
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    4 female swordtails
    some pond snails

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    once every two weeks
    How much of the water do you change?
    about 30 percent
    What do you use to treat your water?
    seachem prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

Stir up the sand substrate after vacuuming surface

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes
    What do you use to test the water?
    API freshwater master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 0ppm
    pH: 6.0

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Once a day
    How much do you feed your fish?
    A pinch
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Tetra color tropical flakes
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Frozen bloodworms from time to time

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    1 year
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    Three days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Noticed she stopped eating the first day, then noticed a blemish on her side, this morning (third day) she had more white fuzz around her body and the blemish turned red like an open sore.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    I put in a fungus treatment fizzing tab about an hour ago, noticed she was on her side twenty minutes later, took her out of treated water into quarantine and she has passed away just a few minutes ago.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    Wasn't eating, seemed to breathe a little harder, then white fuzz and red patches where fuzz appeared.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I had a male swordtail develop a small white fuzz on the tip of his tail 4 months ago and he died shortly after I realized it was there, didn't even have time to treat. In addition, I had another female die two months ago but she was very sick for a while, got very skinny and a curved spine. We figured it was either TB or a spine deformity. I know there is no cure for TB but given these new symptoms, could there be something else happening in my tank? The three swordtails I have remaining are babies I watched grow from fry. . . I really don't want to lose them too. Swordtail.jpg

2. NC122606Valued MemberMember

Are you sure the water parameters are correct??? If your tank is cycled it should have some reading?
    @Momgoose56 Any thoughts?

3. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

You need to shake the living daylights out of the #2 reagent bottle for nitrates .
    I'll bet you are not zero..
    You need to change more water IMO as a swordtail in a 10g is too small even kept proper .
    The pH is also indicative of soft water which is not to a swordtails liking .The harder the better for them ...