Fungus on neons mouth

Paul Mellor

Hi. I think a couple of my neons have fungus around their mouths, one quite bad. The lump is white and large. I've been treating with api fungus cure, hence the green water. I have treated twice, as they recommend, and tomorrow I'm supposed to neutralize it with active carbon. However the lump is large and not much looks different in the past 4 days. Should I treat again? Is it not fungus? Thanks
20201017_175637.jpg
20201017_175655.jpg

Coradee

Welcome to Fishlore.
Diseases aren’t my forte but that looks like it could be Columnaris, sometimes known as ‘Cotton mouth’ Hang on for some other opinions

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Assuming it is the same problem that I have dealt with I do not believe it is fungus and therefore your fungus treatment will not help and may even hinder recovery.

I assume the green tinted water is due to the presence of the dye malachite green which is the most effective cure for fungus and protozoan diseases such as ich.

I believe that if you are able to provide optimum stress-free conditions for your fish it will gradually disappear because this is what I was able to do.

I had it on my poor quality Neon Tetras as well as Columnaris but they were able to recover completely after a lengthy period of several months.

There is a suggestion circulating that this may be a Neon specific virus called Bubblemouth.

Upvote 0

Paul Mellor

Welcome to Fishlore.
Diseases aren’t my forte but that looks like it could be Columnaris, sometimes known as ‘Cotton mouth’ Hang on for some other opinions
Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Rachaeljuno
Replies
Views
Heron