Fungus On Mouth Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BananaBetta, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BananaBetta

BananaBetta Valued Member Member

Hi, I just noticed that my betta who us about a year old has a white fungus in his mouth. I think it's called cotton mouth or some thing. I immediately put all if the fish in that tank into seprate containers. I didn't know what to do. The fungus seems toi be eating away at his mouth.So here's what im asking:
    1. What is it?
    2. Should I clean the entire tank and every thing in it?
    3. How can I treat this?
    4. Should I eauthinise the fish?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

could you post a picture for us to determine the actual disease

3. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

1. If it is eating away his mouth, it is mouth rot
    2. Scrub all decor (no soap) just water and do a large water change
    3. (I pulled this off the internet) As Flavobacterium columnare is Gram-negative, fish can be treated with a combination of the antibiotics furan-2 and kanamycin administered together. Medicated food containing oxytetracycline is also an effective treatment for internal infections, but resistance is emerging. Potassium permanganate, copper sulfate and hydrogen peroxide can also be applied externally to adult fish and fry, but can be toxic at high concentrations. Vaccines can also be given in the face of an outbreak or to prevent disease occurrence. Source: Columnaris - Wikipedia
    4. Only euthanize if it keeps getting worse even after treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    BananaBetta

He won't stop moving soo u can't take a picture but from what I can tell it us defiantly mouth rot and it has overtaken his mouth

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Get us a blurry one if you need to, we can take it. There are a few things out their that look like cotton mouth

6. OP
    OP
    BananaBetta

Thus was the best I could do. The betta cup was used only to get a clearer shot it is not his home. 20180417_190007.jpg

Attached Files:

7. GrayGray4231

Yea, you might have to euthanize :(

8. OP
    OP
    BananaBetta

Ok. When and how

And what about the other fish in the tank ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  9. GrayGray4231

See if he lasts through tonight. If he is worse tomorrow do it then. With several drops of clove oil.

10. OP
    OP
    BananaBetta

11. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Cotton mouth isn't always fatal, have you euthanized? If not, try kanaplex first and see, I've had some success.
    Also, if you do go the euthanization route, it's more than just putting in a few drops of clove oil, I can guide you through it if need be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice