Fungus On Fins??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FallenOwl, Apr 16, 2017.

1. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Another fish has something wrong with him.. This is the 5th fish this week..
    What's wrong with him??
    I put him in a tank previously treated with jungle fungus clear, and a small amount of API aquarium salt (less then was recommended)
    Is there anything else I should do?[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

Anyone?

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

If you have already treated with an anti-fungus medication, he may have contracted a secondary bacterial infection as a result. I would discontinue the salt and treat with an broad-spectrum anti-bacterial medication such as Kanamycin.  . Make sure to change 50% of the volume in quarantine tank before each dose of med to aid in its effectiveness, and add air stone (air pump) if not one already available in tank.

4. OP
    OP
    FallenOwl

In put him in the QT yesterday, after I discovered it ( I didn't want it to spread ). Then I put the fungus clear and salt in.
    The tank is filtered..
    The fungus seems to be gone now (I just checked on him for the first time sense yesterday)
    [​IMG]
    What could have "taken" his fin?

5. D

This article has everything in it to tell you why this has occurred and how to fix it. Again, you will need a broad-based antibiotic, kanamycin ( or Kanaplex) being the best medication for this) as you are dealing with both fungal/ bacterial illness.

6. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

I wish people wold be appreciatve for our advice and thank us, and listen to us. It is not FUNGUS
    Fungus does not just live on grow on and kill eat Healthy fish skin
    It is a bacterial infection, and the so called "fungus" only eats the dead skin!
    So many ppl get confused about this, i have answered this question a thousand times, and every time i come back someone else is going on about "fungus"
    You would think the oceans would be full of mushrooms by now, instead of fish :rolleyes:

7. D

Appreciate your clarification of my error. Do you have something to add concerning treatment?

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Perhaps you should write a thread about the differences between fungus and a bacterial infection. I'm sure a lot of people here would like to see pictures and types of fungus and infections. It might help newbies and experienced people figure out what they have so they don't have to ask.

9. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Not a bad idea, but i wonder how many (or few rather) people actually read those threads. Probably not very many, but i will do it if a moderator will make it a sticky.

10. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Well many people here might be able to hyperlink your article to the forum when discussed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice