Fungus on ADF

iroze
Good appropriate time of day everyone,
so yesterday I bought two african dwarf frogs at a local Petco. It looks to me like one of them has a bit of a fungal infection on his foot. Here's what it looks like:

20140526_125204.jpg
I would like to confirm with knowledgeable people and also find out which of the medications I have available could be administered in such a case.
I have at my disposal:
API T.C.Tetracycline (treats bacterial fish disease)
API E.M. Erythromycin (treats bacterial fish disease but mouth fungus is on the list of symptoms)
API Pimafix (treats fungal infections)
Sentry AQ Mardel Maracyn-Oxy

Should I use one of these or go out and buy something else?

Another question - should I treat both newly bought frogs? The second one does not seem infected but who knows, they come from the same tank...
Thank you in advance,

Claire Bear
Lucy is the best to comment on your ADF as she has had great success. I have ADF but have not treated for anything and hope I don't have to do so.

Lucy
HI iroze

Poor little frog.
Maracyn-Oxy should be ok to use.
I can't say about the other meds. Never used them on frogs.

If the other isn't showing symptoms you might want to wait.
Inspect him closely though.

Hope the little guy gets better.

iroze
I know, my frog luck is waning of late Thanks so much. I will try that immediately.

Lucy
They're not all that healthy in the stores to begin with. Without proper care from tadpole to frog effects their health as adults. By the time we got them damage has been done and we blame ourselves.

Is his foot swollen also?

iroze
It's true. Out of the two local Petcos only one carried them. The second told me they don't survive in their tanks so they've stopped carrying them.
The foot is not swollen. I've isolated the little fellow and he's been floating at the surface after I applied the medicine.

iroze
Noticed he isn't using the fungus-covered leg and he is also refusing to eat I think this one is done for

Lucy

It's pretty bad infection.

You know how sensitive they can be.
Hopefully the meds will start to work and he'll perk up.

They can go a few days without eating. Try not to worry about that just yet.

iroze
I ended up isolating him in the "cube of death" for lack of other containers and I know how dirty the water in that tiny thing can get. I had already done a 50% water change (which is not much despite the fact that my "cube" is a size "large - pathetic, really). Understanding this also takes away from the amount of medicine in the water - should I maybe re-medicate? Or wait until the next dose tomorrow?

Thank you so much.

Lucy
Do the directions say to do a water change?

If he's not eating he's not producing a lot of waste.

iroze
The directions say no changes are necessary if readings are ideal. I'm just paranoid about dirty water

Lucy
Can you premix another batch, match the water temp for a change tomorrow or the following day?
I think you'd be ok with every other day changes.
Remove any food if he doesn't eat.

iroze
Yes, I already have the water ready, waiting for the change. Thanks very much as always. Much appreciated.

iroze
Day two of medicating the "cube of death" due to Fuzzy Foot Fungus Fail: the fuzz has increased in quantity. The frog, however, seems to be moving around more. Still not eating. Here's what it looks like:

20140527_204226.jpg
Cannot tell if medicine is helping

Lucy
That looks bad. He looks alert though.
If it seems to be spreading maybe try a little hydrogen peroxide.
Use a Q-tip and dab the infected area. It might help.

Crossing fingers for your frog.

iroze
Does the frog stay in water why I apply hydrogen peroxide?
He seems to be floating on his back a lot today, too

Lucy
Without stressing him too much see if you can gently lift him out on a clean damp cloth.
Have everything ready so he's not out of the water for very long.

Probably don't have to tell you this but don't use a q-tip then stick it back in the bottle.
You don't want to contaminate it.

iroze
Just did it. The frog was not happy. He is now hiding under a leaf.
Was my goal here to remove the fuzzy stuff off his leg or just coat it in hydrogen peroxide? It did not seem to come off... of course, I didn't press or pull or scrape hardly at all because he is a tiny fellow and is probably already in enough pain.
How often should this procedure be repeated?
Thank you so much.

Rivieraneo
Just did it. The frog was not happy. He is now hiding under a leaf.
Was my goal here to remove the fuzzy stuff off his leg or just coat it in hydrogen peroxide? It did not seem to come off... of course, I didn't press or pull or scrape hardly at all because he is a tiny fellow and is probably already in enough pain.
How often should this procedure be repeated?
Thank you so much.

I don't own frogs, but when ive treated goldfish, I treat with hydrogen peroxide once a day. You can also try a bath in methylene blue to help the fungus, or atleast dip his foot in the bath. With regards to dosage and concentration, I found this, see post #5

Lucy
The goal was just to get some on the infection and hopefully kill of some off the microorganisms and hopefully stop it from spreading.

I can't comment on Riv's suggestion I have never used Methylene Blue on ADF's
Not saying it's incorrect, I don't know one way or the other.

If you decide to try it be sure it won't react poorly with the Maracyn-Oxy.

Edit:
Ok, so ya gotta love when someone (Riv, in this case) posts something that makes you say, wow, I want to learn more and read about it.

Came across this to go with the link Riv provided.

If you read the above link keep in mind it is about amphibians in general not specially ADF's
Whether that matters or not, I don't know.

Rivieraneo
Edit:
Ok, so ya gotta love when someone (Riv, in this case) posts something that makes you say, wow, I want to learn more and read about it.

Came across this to go with the link Riv provided.

If you read the above link keep in mind it is about amphibians in general not specially ADF's
Whether that matters or not, I don't know.

Wow, that's a good list of medications and treatments for amphibians.

iroze
Not sure that it worked (just like Maracyn oxy). The frog is alive, but the fungus is even fuzzier. I've gone through the list and making chlorinated water seems to be something I can do in household conditions. If only I knew how. Or if I knew how much time the little fellow has left, I'd order this stuff or shop for it...

iroze
Actually the froggie has passed away. Thanks everyone for their advice. I guess some things we just can't help.

Lucy
I'm really sorry.

You did all you could do.
He looked in bad shape when you got him.

iroze
Thanks. This is my fifth frog from the pet store that dies. About six months ago I saw four really thin starved froggies at Petco and bought them, and they died within a few days. It's heartbreaking how stores treat their pets that they can't survive

Lucy
Just like fish, we don't know how they were treated before they got to the store either.

After I lost my last batch a few years ago it took me about a year before I found some healthy one in the store.
Every time I went, I checked. If even if one looked ill I'd pass on all of them.

It is heartbreaking.

Narrdemetrius
I have an African dwarf frog for a few months now. Recently I saw he had a fungus infection on his hand. I took him out the tank and put him in a smaller tank and been treating him with Pimafix but haven't seen any results. His whole hand is covered now and a smal spot appeared next to his face where his hand is. I don't think it's chytrid because he was the only frog I've had for months. What should I do? I do have a picture but, don't know how to upload it on here

Narrdemetrius
Here's a picture of the frog. Please I really don't want him to die
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1445606956.563360.jpg

Lucy
HI Narrdemetrius welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry your frog isn't well.
Unfortunately, ime, when things get this far it may be too late.
There aren't many medication that are safe for ADF's. You can try Maroxy for the fungus and maybe Marcyn 2 for any underlying bacterial issues.
You can also use hydrogen peroxide. Put some on a q-tip nt in the water and swab his hand and spot near his face.

As you noticed these thing move pretty fast on our flippered friends..

Let's see if other members have some input.

marijo
HI and welcome to Fishlore

I am sorry your frog is sick, as suggested by Lucy, I would try stronger medication than Pimafix, hopefully stronger medication will improve the condition of your frog, I am sorry to say that fungus is really hard to cure on adf, I would start the treatment as soon as possible

Narrdemetrius
Thanks for the advice guys. As much as it doesn't make sense I strongly believe he say Chytrid fungus. His skin is shedding really bad. I started a Limisil bath that I found online. I'm just giving the best chance. But like you guys said it may be too late for him. I'm just not sure how he could of contracted the fungus if he hasn't been in contact with another frog in months....

Lucy
It can take 2-3 months for the symptoms of Chytrid to show.
I don't believe that's what he has. While it's called fungus Chytrid doesn't appear like a fungus (white and fuzzy) to the naked eye.
Most likely he is shedding because of the melafix. They will often do that if there is something irritating their skin.

Narrdemetrius
Ok, so should I stop this treatment for chytrid? I don't want to be the reason he dies. Should I just get a strong fungal treatment instead of Melafix?

Lucy
Honestly, I can't say that the Lamisil will help but it's been used on ADF's for Chytrid so I'm not sure it will hurt either.
Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Oh, I just remembered, in the lamisil bath instructions it does say they will shed often during treatment.

Narrdemetrius
I started the Limisil treatment only because I thought he had Chytrid. I'm sure it will help get rid of the fungus if it can cure chytrid so I'll continue it.

I'm really new to this problem. I just want to get the fungus off

Lucy
Yeah, I know what it's like when one of our aquatic pets gets sick and all we want to do is help.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Narrdemetrius
Since he doesn't have Chytrid. Should I continue the lamisil baths?

marijo
Hello Narrdemetrius

I red that lamisil baths are good for Chytrid, In all the posts I have been reading concerning adf, I d'ont remember someone using it for fungus so I cannot really say if it would do any good, but I would say it's worth a try. I am not an expert but I know the feeling when trying all the best for a pet frog, does the first bath look like it helps?

Lucy
How is your frog doing?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bitseriously
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views