fungus in my python tube

gammerus

Member
well I guess it was inevitable, I have gotten a bunch of black fungus inside my python... and I believe that is what has given my fish fin rot. I want to clean it, but frankly I have no idea how to kill the fungus, or algae in the tube.
 

Isabella

Member
You mean, in the plastic siphon tube, or in the long hose through which the water runs? The plastic siphon tube should be easy to clean with some brush for aquarium cleaning. There are long and thin brushes available at fish stores to clean filter piping and tubing. But if the fungus is inside the long hose ... then I've no idea how to clean it ???
 
  • Thread Starter

gammerus

Member
Isabella said:
You mean, in the plastic siphon tube, or in the long hose through which the water runs? The plastic siphon tube should be easy to clean with some brush for aquarium cleaning. There are long and thin brushes available at fish stores to clean filter piping and tubing. But if the fungus is inside the long hose ... then I've no idea how to clean it ???
yeah, it's in the long hose. I was thinking of soaking it in some sort of solution then dragging a cloth through it (by aide of rope)
 

Isabella

Member
I wouldn't soak it in any solution that may be harmful to fish. Remember that you use that hose to refill your tank. Also, the material it's made out of may melt I think, if it's some strong solution such as bleach. But how does that fungus look? Are you sure it's fungus? Always try to get all the water out of the hose after your water changes.
 
  • Thread Starter

gammerus

Member
Isabella said:
I wouldn't soak it in any solution that may be harmful to fish. Remember that you use that hose to refill your tank. Also, the material it's made out of may melt I think, if it's some strong solution such as bleach. But how does that fungus look? Are you sure it's fungus? Always try to get all the water out of the hose after your water changes.
It is black, and fuzzy. It isn't thick just dark. It may be algea, but either way I want to get rid of it.... maybe letting it dry outside completly them rinse?
 

jsalemi

Member
Sounds like it might be mold, too. Drying it out won't get rid of it if it is. You can buy replacement tubes -- I know DFS has Python replacement parts on their website, and others probably do as well.
 

Butterfly

Member
It is most likely mildew from staying wet after water changes.
I soak all my siphon hoses in diluted bleach water over night occasionally. Just like anything else you clean for your tank rinse, rinse, rinse. Then soak in water with extra dechlorinator in it. Never had a problem doing this.
Carol
 
  • Thread Starter

gammerus

Member
Butterfly said:
It is most likely mildew from staying wet after water changes.
I soak all my siphon hoses in diluted bleach water over night occasionally. Just like anything else you clean for your tank rinse, rinse, rinse. Then soak in water with extra dechlorinator in it. Never had a problem doing this.
Carol
I will try it, maybe if it kills the mold it will just rinse out.
 

Butterfly

Member
Run a good stream of water through it afterwards and it should be fine.
Carol
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom