fungus help...

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so i just set up my 75g a month ago. today during feeding i noticed one of my rasboras has fungus. i turned the heat down a lil to 78 as it was at 81. im going to treat with maracyn 1 & 2 i think, or i might try maracyn plus as i have some of that. the tank test fine and im about to do a big water change.

my question is do i need to treat the whole tank or qt the rasbora? i cant remember if fungus is something you have to treat the whole tank for or not? im pretty sure i need to treat the whole tank but i hate treating a tank that is newly cycled but i guess i might not have a choice...

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was told to treat the whole tank in case the other fish come down with it ( even though they may not have symptoms showing yet )

Personally, if it were me, I would take the rasbora's out and treat seperately - probably not recommended but thats what I would do until I start seeing some symptoms with the other fish....

Good luck - I completely understand not wanting to do the whole tank....

Junne

llfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do the same as Junne, take the little fella out and treat it and keep a close eye on the other fish. Best of luck to you!

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'd QT the fish in question ASAP. Then as a preventative measure, I'd treat the whole tank with Kordon rid fungus. It's all natural and doesn't harm inverts or plants. Smell so lovely too. The fish in QT I'd use maracyn, try the plus and see if it works.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok thanks, i have a 2.5g and a 20g long for a qt tank. do you think the 2.5 would be to small?

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 to Cichlidnut. If you do decide to remove the rasbora you should treat the whole tank anyway. I've always found that if I don't treat the main tank then I'll end up with other issues later.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the prob is i really dont have room by my other tanks. it would be a long air hose to reach and the closest one is running 4 sponge filter right now. iv actually been meaning to get another one, iv been looking at the azoo battery backup one. ill prob just go grab one for now then return it later

ok ill go with cichlidnut and remove him, treat the 75g with the kordon fungus, and treat the rasboar with maracyn plus.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok so the rasboar is in the 2.5 and i just gave him his last dose of maracyn plus. all the fungus is gone but there is deff some discoloration on him. hard to tell what it is much be some missing scales. i guess ill leave him in here tell he is fully healed. no more meds so ill stick to lots of water changes and fish protector from here.

now in my 75g, i stopped dosing the rid fungus two days ago. today i noticed one of my corys is missing his whiskers and has fungus all around his mouth. i did a big water change and added the rid fungus back. should i move the cory out? i guess i could set up another qt tank but i already have 2 running and im getting stretched thin on filters... i dont think it would be good to put him in the 2.5g so any opinions???? i cant believe his whiskers are completely gone, any idea why?

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have no idea i have never dealt with columnaris.... can you explain the differences? i can try to post some pics if that would help. the other corys and everyone else looks fine... should i treat the 75g with something stronger?

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Columnaris usually kills within 24-48 hours and is not affected by fungal meds. If their condition fails to improve you'll know what the issue is

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
He caught it fast in the Rasbora. If that cories face is covered by fungus, pull him fast. Also, lower temps help slow Columnaris.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Columnaris usually kills within 24-48 hours and is not affected by fungal meds. If their condition fails to improve you'll know what the issue is
well the rasboar was the first effected and that was week ago. just in case should i move the cory. i guess to the 2.5g? or should i set up the 20g long? it wont have a substrate...

EDIT... the corys face isnt covered its really only right in front of his mouth. so no a huge area... it does look a little red around that area also.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i dont really want to set up the 20g. i could put the cory in the 2.5g but i dont want to reinfect the rasboar. can i move the rasboar back? he is still missing scales but seems ok....

i could move my red tail shark and severum out of 10g qt but they just finished the ich treatment 4 days ago.... then i could move the corys in there.... any ideas?

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BUMP/UPDATE...

i got the cory out of the 75g. i guess ill move him to the 2.5g if no one objects. ill just keep the rasboar in there tell the cory gets better i guess....

i kinda think the other corys whiskers are getting shorter. do you think that aqua soil could be doing it? i wouldnt think so as its very smooth but idk. also my neons and angelfish eat the corys food, so maybe there accidentally nipping there whiskers while there all eating???

here is a video..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom