Fungus help needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by sue h, Mar 30, 2010.

1. s

sue h New Member Member

I added a couple new corys to my 46 gallon tank last Friday (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5) and unfortunately did not quarantine them. One of them now has fungus on her two pectoral fins (white, fuzzy). I removed her to a quarantine tank that I set up using water from the existing tank and a handful of gravel from it as well (so she had something to dig around in). I added API fungus med, which was the only one we could find. This was on Sunday (the fungus showed up Saturday). She is going dowhill rapidly. I know the tank is stressing her, as well as being alone. She was doing great, very happy and active in the regular tank. Only issue was the fungus. What should I do at this point? I don't want to lose her. I am supposed to add the second and final dose of meds to the water tonight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She is miserable right now.

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

My suggestion would be to keep her in the QT and finish the treatment. Are there any decorations in the tank? If not, you may want to add something she can hide in to feel more secure. It the QT has a light, it may help her stress if you keep the lights off. In my opinion, it would be easier to treat her in a QT. That way you wouldn't be treating the other fish unnecessarily.

Corys can be very sensitive to meds. I haven't had a sick cory for quite a while (knock on wood) but in the past, I used 1/2 the recommended dose with them. Hopefully others will provide their opinions as well.

3. OP
    OP
    s

sue h New Member Member

I have a bridge-type decoration for her to hide under. No light on the QT tank, but I keep the overhead light in the room that it is in turned on during the day, so still pretty dim in her tank. Any idea how long it takes the fungus to start going away? 2 days of meds have not made any difference whatsoever and if anything it is worse-just wondering if that is the norm or what to expect.

4. b

It would depend on how severe the fungal infection is. If it is quite bad, it could take a couple rounds of treatment.

5. OP
    OP
    s

sue h New Member Member

She is feeling better this morning-very active and ate all her food last night. But her 2 pectorals are covered in fuzz. How long before I should start seeing some kind of improvement? The directions on the API say that tomorrow I should do a water change and put the carbon back in. Should I do that yet or let her stay in the meds longer? And I bought the Jungle brand of fungus med last night (couldnt find it over the weekend), which I saw recommended on Fishlore. Is it safe to add that to the tank at some point if needed, or will that be too much with the API fungus med already in the water? So many questions, I know-but I have never dealt with this before and I really want to save little Ziggy's life. She is such a happy little creature :)

6. b

I'm glad to hear that she is feeling a little bit better. I have used Jungle Fungus tabs before and it was very effective.

I would do a water change, put the carbon back in for a few hours. That will remove the APi meds. Then I would start with the Jungle fungus tabs.

What kind of cory is Ziggy?

7. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Fungus is generally a secondary infection that appears at the site of wounds that occur from fin nipping or a rough netting that may have scraped off a few scales. It spreads quickly so early treatment is best. For starters, make sure that your QT tank has stable water parameters. Ammonia and nitrite exposure will only make the fungus worse as well as lowering your cory's immune system and leaving her susceptible to other illnesses. I am personally not a fan of medications, but there are times when it is called for and for those times I generally prefer Mardel brand meds. Maroxy is a good anti fungal treatment, but before switching meds you will need to put back the carbon and do several water changes to ensure the API medication is completely out of your tank. Maroxy can also be used in conjunction with anti bacterial medications like Mardel's Maracyn II which will help aid against secondary bacterial infections. It is common for people to misdiagnose what is really a bacterial infection with a fungal infection so treating for both will keep your bases covered. Jungle Fungus Eliminator is also a good and highly recommended brand which will (if I recall correctly) treat both fungus and bacterial infections.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    s

sue h New Member Member

Ziggy is a spotted cory. When the pet store guy was chasing the other cory that I was buying around the tank, I was upset with how rough he was being, so I am sure he injured her fins in his attempts to catch them. The rest of the tank is fine, thank goodness. Does anyone know how long it takes for the fungus to start going away? So far no change whatsoever.

9. b

Well, she is eating now and more active, that's a change. It really depends on how severe the fungus infecton is. Be patient. Keep the water really clean and monitor the parameters.

10. OP
    OP
    s

sue h New Member Member

I meant no change in the amount of fungus :) Although this morning I *think* it looks to be a little less. She is back to not looking good-didn't eat last night, laying under the bridge. I did a 25% water change last night and put the carbon back in. I will take the carbon out tonight, do another water change and add the Jungle fungus/bacteria med. Hopefully that will do the trick in time. Thanks for all your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice