Fungus? Algae?

Laura Hiscock

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone recognize this? This is the 3rd time it has grown on my filter casing, filter and gravel. It is NOT uneaten food pellets. My betta has bad fin rot. I have medicated 2x with API Fin and Body Cure over the past 6 weeks. Last time I added bacteria supplement after the last water change. The fin rot has gotten worse. The nitrates were very high and ammonia was slightly high. I did a 50% water change last night and when I came to work today the growth was back. Is it fungus? Algae? Any suggestions appreciated. I have a 5.5 gal tank with 1 plant, 1 mystery snail, and 1 betta. Temp 79*F. I feed the betta 2 pellets 2x/day and fast over the weekend. I give the snail 1 algae pellet 2x/ week.

Attachments

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is a weird looking growth. The fact that it appeared overnight is very unusual as well. Could you scrape some off and take more pictures of it? It almost looks like tiny rocks got stuck in your intake.

Laura Hiscock

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are not rocks because I can rinse them off and they dissolve. You can't really scrape them off because it just smudges. Honestly up close it looks like uneaten pellets but that's not what it is. It's really weird! I've had it grow three different times overnight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom