Fungus Advice Help

1. R

Rowan Heneghan New Member Member

Recently I've had a fungus issue in my 20 gallon long, which I only set up a few weeks ago. My dwarf gourami, who came to me injured, now has fuzzy white fungus growing from his wounds. I've been treating with an imagitarium brand antibacterial/antifungal remedy, half doses every day rather than full every other day, since I have snails in the tank. I've also been giving the gourami 20 minute dips in water in the high 80s, with a little iodine free salt in it. He freaks out and breathes quickly when I do this, but it makes the fungus fall off (Only to grow back later, it seems.) Today, I'e noticed what looks just like the same white fuzzy fungus he has growing on my driftwood, and clumps of white fuzz and debris all over the tank. I'm not sure if I should try to vacuum it out or not, as I'm afraid of water changes messing up the course of the antifungal. To make matters worse, I had a recent ammonia spike I'm still dealing with! I have no clue what the best course of action is right now, or how to get my tank clean. Any advice?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

At this point you should probably treat your tank with a systemic fungicide.

You may have to order online if your local lfs doesn't carry actual medications. API Fungus Cure or Tetra Fungus Guard are two possibles.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Do you think I can use them both together? Is one more effective than the other?

4. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Bad advice, not really fungus, even if it was, it will not attack your fish. Fish have a slimecoat, they live in water infested with water mould, and they wont get sick. Tried it myself.
    Only dead tissue can get consumed by fungus. Tissue that has already been killed by bacteria. Or tail cartilige, because its mostly just tissue, no blood supply.

The problem here is your tank is not cycled, and your probably overfeeding a ton. Ammonia and Nitrite are both toxic.

Look at the amount of food you feed from below the water line, see how much more it looks like from below than above?
    Get a siphon, vacum out the excess food, and do Partial water changes of 1/3 every day using "Prime" and also destroy any fish that is sick before it spreads to others.
    Drop it in a cup of ice water and put in freezer

Do not clean your tank too much! That "crud" on the filter and in the gravel, yes that is your GOOD bacteria, you dont wash it off. Feed only a tiny pincy of crushed up food 2x a day.
    Look from below waterline, theres your problem. Way too much food and your Nitrogen cycle is not finished yet.

Please do not use fungus cure, its mostly an antibiotic, and old antibiotic, and it has toxic chemicals.
    If you feel the need to treat the tank with something to kill the fungus (which is just breaking down leftoever food) Then use the tetra becasue it has acriflavine, that is a good safe chemical and it wont hurt plants, good bacteria, or the environment.
    I use it to stearilize nets and equiptment in bukets.

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Before using any medication, I'd perform daily 50% water changes (w/ Seachem Prime and a gravel vacuum) until the tank is cycled again. Once this happens, I'd just use something like API Fungus Cure to help the fish out.

6. maggie thecat

I would not stack medications. Pick one. If you are still having issues after the recommended treatment cycle, you can switch to the other.

Both are highly regarded medications. Both have fans and foes. Use what you are most comfortable with and can obtain quickly.

7. OP
    OP
    R

Alright... I've been doing that, but as I try to cycle it its been weeks and my fish is clearly dying , I'm just very worried.

8. Adriifu

What is the stocking in your tank?

9. Whitewolf

Feed them antibiotic flake then

10. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks! I have been doing 50% water changes every day and removing all extra food already. My cycle finished weeks ago, I just put too many fish in at once and had a spike. I'll be more careful about not cleaning things too much, but should I leave all the fungus growing on my plants and driftwood alone? My gourami seems to be dying and is covered in fungus, no longer active, etc, so i'm not sure I want to wait to treat. I'm not going to kill him without trying to help him.

I really appreciate your help, but i also think you're taking a bit of a condescending tone- don't worry, I know about the nitrogen cycle, lol.

11. maggie thecat

This is the injured gourami you're concerned about, yes?

From what little I could find, the product you have been using to treat it with is a panacea. At best. While you may have a bacterial bloom going on the driftwood , which is common in a new tank, that is a side issue to the damage to your fish.

12. OP
    OP
    R

6 neon tetras, one dwarf gourami, four otos, four corys. I just added too many at once and got a spike, I believe. the gourami was badly damaged when I bought him, unfortunately.

13. Adriifu

Yeah, you've gotta be careful next time when adding new fish. Just try your best to get your cycle back. Do you have any extra cycled media hanging around? This is definitely a secondary fungal infection if the poor thing was injured.

14. Whitewolf

The condensending tone is not directed towards you, im just running into alot of ppl giving bad advice today on these forums and im dissapointed.....
    Dont take it personally.

15. OP
    OP
    R

Yeah, when i first got the driftwood I got the usual slimy bacterial bloom, but it all disappeared. A few days after the white fuzz grew on the gourami, identical fuzz grew all over the log, thats why I thought it was related.

16. OP
    OP
    R

Alright, thanks!

17. Adriifu

I don't really see where the "bad advice" is. This is clearly a secondary fungal infection considering the circumstances.

18. OP
    OP
    R

I have a cycled betta tank, but all I have from that is my tiny sponge filter, and so I don't know how I would use that in the bigger tank without getting it infected somehow

19. Adriifu

Yeah, then just keep performing water changes. Do you use Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator?

20. maggie thecat

Right. I get that. Frankly, without looking under a microscope all you have is what you see with your eyes. If you see similar fungus on your wood and fish, I believe you. That is why I suggested you use a systemic fungicide and knock it all down to get on top of the problem.