Help Fungal meds in Canada

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,
I am in Canada too. A lot of people treat with salt, but keep in mind that salt is not safe for scaleless fish such as catfish or some loaches! You may need to separate the sick fish. I‘m not sure about how much salt to use, but there are some good resources online, check out aquarium co-ops page about this!

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
I would prefer not to separate as I don't have another tank ready. Does anyone here have any advice on spur of the moment hospital tank setup or advice for salt treatment?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Litfish said:
I would prefer not to separate as I don't have another tank ready. Does anyone here have any advice on spur of the moment hospital tank setup?
You can use pretty much any clean plastic bin. Make sure there were never any soaps or cleaning products in the container. You can go to the store and get a brand new one for under $5. Just rinse with water first.
The key will be continuing filtration and heating. If your room temp is around 78, you won’t need a heater but you really just want to emulate the conditions of the normal tank. A sponge filter is also a great option for a temporary tank since they are easy to move and can go in anything. Filling a temp tank, fill half with the normal tank water and make sure to still acclimate the fish.

you can also look on sites like Craigslist or offer up for used tanks. You can generally get those pretty cheap and often people include filters and heaters along with the tank.

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
i do have an empty 5 gallon that i can use. Jungle lifeguard all in one treatment tablets seem to be available. Would they be more effective than salt?

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is Melafix. I used it along with pimafix to treat finrot before and it worked well. Have no idea if it is safe for scaleless fish though or if it would be good in this case so you may have to do some research. It's available at Petsmart, probably Big Al's or I'm sure you could find it on Amazon.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
FishBeginner2020 said:
There is Melafix. I used it along with pimafix to treat finrot before and it worked well. Have no idea if it is safe for scaleless fish though or if it would be good in this case so you may have to do some research. It's available at Petsmart, probably Big Al's or I'm sure you could find it on Amazon.
I believe Melafix is safe, but I don’t believe it will be super effective since it’s not an anti fungal. Am I right in the fact that most antibiotics and anti fungal treatments are not available in Canada?

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
Yeah I've found only pimafix and the jungle all in one treatment tabs. Speaking of which, has anyone used them on fungal infections and is salt better?

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Found this Polyguard:
The shipping is delayed though because of the virus.

I am not sure about the medicines available. Probably anything they make in the states could be shipped here (for a fee) but I know there are some laws restricting some fish supplies. For example, the ammonia I had to order for cycling was super diluted.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In most cases real fungus only appear on wounds / dead fish etc.....

On the other hand there are several bacterial issues that look like fungus or cause an excessive production of mucus / damages the slimeskin.

Sudden fungal infections on living fish without wound are quite rare.

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
Would poly guard be safe for scaleless fish? Should i try to dose melafix as well?

FishBeginner2020

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Litfish said:
Would poly guard be safe for scaleless fish? Should i try to dose melafix as well?
Not sure about melafix but I did find this on seachem site:

Scaleless fish are in orange which is proceed with caution. So maybe not? Not sure.

Pridedcloth3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Minced garlic is pretty effective against fungal infections. I've used it myself a couple times with the dried stuff you buy at the supermarket. Might sound wired but I had a Mollie with sclerosis that contracted it then it spread to my barbs and tetras. It's a 60 gallon tank so I just dumped a bunch. I have snails in there and the meds I have isn't safe for invertebrates and forget putting snails in with a red devil and Oscar. But while my living room smelled of garlic for a couple days the fungus was completely gone in 24 hours vs the 3 days my anti fungal meds stated. But this came after researching garlic which most people use to increase fish appetite but it has the nice buff that fungus doesn't like it. Hope I helped from your neighbor to the south.

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but this is safe for scaleless fish right?

Pridedcloth3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Litfish said:
Probably a dumb question but this is safe for scaleless fish right?
Sure is there were two rainbow sharks in there when I added it and they're there's now. Not a dumb question at all. I just took a shot in the dark and it paid off big for me.

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
How much garlic should I add per gallon? Is there a specific amount of garlic or should i just toss some in?

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
So all I had was wet minced garlic, so i added a tablespoon of that, but now there is a film over the water is this ok?

Pridedcloth3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry I used dry but it's probably just film from the actual garlic probably nothing a quick we down won't fix.

Litfish said:
How much garlic should I add per gallon? Is there a specific amount of garlic or should i just toss some in?
And while I don't have any scientific information about dosage all I can say is I dumped a bunch in and just cleaned filters after the fungus was gone

OP
L

Litfish

Reaction score
Thanks I did try to get some off but it dispersed anyway.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom