Fungal infection on African Dwarf Frog

Olcia2002

So I noticed this morning that one of my Adf’s has a coudy white spot on its back and looks very skiing, so I’m guessing wasn’t eating. About one week ago one of my adf’s passed away due to a broken leg from the filter (I fixed the problem with the filter intake). After it passed I noticed the same white cloudy spot on its leg, much like the spot my frog has now. I’m wondering if this fungal infection passed on to other frogs, or if this frog scratched up on a rock which caused the fungal infection. My main question is if it transfers to other frogs. Thank you

I meant to say skinny, not skiing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 65

Kjeldsen

Welcome! It's not contagious like a cold, but the conditions that may have contributed to the frog getting sick can attack others. Most commonly from a water mold rather than a true fungal infection, these molds are everywhere, in soil and freshwater. Outbreaks often occur when water temp is on the low end, which also lowers the frog's immunity. It's the same type of mold that infects fish or frog's eggs, can spread over surface quickly, and can be fatal. The water mold infection is inhibited by even a small amount of salt, which is why marine animals aren't affected. Normally frogs don't like salt, but I think that's the safest option here because most drugs used to treat it can be fatal to them. I'll get back asap with specifics, but in the meantime do a water change and vacuuming, up the temp to 80*F and start with 1 tablespoon dissolved salt per 5 gallons.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bitseriously
  • Question
Replies
Views
jess1506
Replies
Views
maggie thecat
Replies