Fun Stocking Suggestions?

1. Nwehby Member Member

Planning to rehome my platy soon, leaving my tank a little sparse. Here's what I've got, I would like some suggestions on new fish I could get and quantity please:

30g long. Cycled 2 months. 2 live plants.

1 blue gourami
    1 Bolivian ram
    7 harlequin rasbora
    1 ottocat

Ok go! And thanks!

2. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert on ottos but I believe you need a small group of them? Hopefully someone else can comment on that.

Why are you rehoming the platy? What are you looking for that the platy did not give you?

Also you can add a few more rasboras to bring it up to 9

3. Nwehby Member Member

I found out about the ottocat after I bought him. LOcal shop said 1 was fine, they were wrong of course. They haven't had any more in that I can up to 5 or so.

Platy I just don't care for as much as the other fish in my tank. They are ok, friendly but they just don't have the interest factor to look at like the gourami and ram. Harlequins are nice and coppery

I had actually increased my school to 13 rasbora but my ram took to killing all but the original 7 I had so I figure he doesn't want me to up them. :/ he didn't kill any of the original. My guess they were a little bigger than the 7 I already had to he just picked them off.

Soo, looking for further suggestions. Prefer no bottom dwellers. I like Cory cats but having that many makes the bottom too busy for me.

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe do a different school? Try lemon tetras or diamond tetras. Very active and very pretty. And up your otto's when you can. You can also get your ram a friend. Probably have room to get your gourami a friend as well.

5. Nwehby Member Member

Don't think I would run into overstocking or aggression issues with 2 rams and/ or 2 blue gourami in a 30g?

Here's a pic of the tank if that helps. I would rather do that.. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465245903.258453.jpg

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

30 gallon long is 36 inches wide right?

I'd say 2 rams 1 gourami.

7. Nwehby Member Member

It is 30 inch long. I would love another ram but had concerns over two males in there. My one does buzz around the whole tank bottom so they would eventually run into each other and there is no trusting I would get a female from the shop even if they said it was

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Well rams are pretty peaceful. If you did get a male they would fight some but you would have time to move it before it got too violent. I'd do a best guess on a female and monitor closely.

9. Nwehby Member Member

Will try that then, thanks! Any suggestions on better tank set up for that? I have lots of things to break line of sight but perhaps with another ram I might need more?

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How about some lava rocks?