10 Gallon Tank Fun stocking for 10g?

Chewbacca773

I am moving my endlers from a 10g to another tank, and I got some space!

Current inhabitants -

2 nerites
2 amanos
Undetermined amount of ramshorns

Got any fun ideas? I was thinking maybe a peacock gudgeon or gardneri killifish pair, maybe even 6 bumblebee gobies. Looking for some bigger fish(bigger than endlers)

bored411

I had a Dwarf Gourami in my community 10 gallon for a bit with some other fish. Decent sized and multicolored like the peacock gudgeon. There's other gourami you can try too that vary in size, though the bigger ones you might only be able to put 1-2 in a 10 gallon. Peacock gudgeons are super pretty though! Curious to see what you end up choosing!

The_fishy

Personally, I love gobies! Although scarlet badis might also be interesting. Or pygmy sunfish if you can source them.

CrackerboxPalace

Dwarf gouramis are a little big for a 10 gallon. You could go with 4-6 sparkling or honey gouramis instead. Or a few licorice gouramis if you’re up to the challenge.

Chewbacca773

Personally, I love gobies! Although scarlet badis might also be interesting. Or pygmy sunfish if you can source them.
I would go for the sunfish, but I wanna get a bigger fish so my grandparents don't bully me about it...
Dwarf gouramis are a little big for a 10 gallon. You could go with 4-6 sparkling or honey gouramis instead. Or a few licorice gouramis if you’re up to the challenge.
What's the challenge with licorice gouramis?

How many scarlets do you think I could put? I'm thinking 2 if I do them

The_fishy

How many scarlets do you think I could put? I'm thinking 2 if I do them
I would do three to try and even any territorial disputes. Most of the ones sold are male, although females with males would be ideal.

Chewbacca773

I would do three to try and even any territorial disputes. Most of the ones sold are male, although females with males would be ideal.
My LFS has both

CrackerboxPalace

What's the challenge with licorice gouramis
theyre a pretty sensitive fish, often wild caught. unlike most aquarium fish they actually need a blackwater environment with a pH below 7 to thrive, plus lots of live foods because they won’t always readily eat pellets/flakes.

Chewbacca773

Then you can do three females with a male!
theyre a pretty sensitive fish, often wild caught. unlike most aquarium fish they actually need a blackwater environment with a pH below 7 to thrive, plus lots of live foods because they won’t always readily eat pellets/flakes.
Ok, I have a preset filter, and it heats the tank to 81 degrees. Do you think peacock gudgeons would be fine with that, or should I get something else.

ruud

I doubt if your LFS has female Scarlet Badis. Tried to get females for 20 years without success. A few years ago I purchased Dario Myanmar, which resemble the Scarlets (Dario dario) to a very large degree, and it so happened that 1 was a female. I've been breeding them ever since.

In a 10 gallon tank with 2 male Scarlet Badis, unless it is very, very heavily planted, prepare for lots of disputes. I don't enjoy watching it.

Chewbacca773

I doubt if your LFS has female Scarlet Badis. Tried to get females for 20 years without success. A few years ago I purchased Dario Myanmar, which resemble the Scarlets (Dario dario) to a very large degree, and it so happened that 1 was a female. I've been breeding them ever since.

In a 10 gallon tank with 2 male Scarlet Badis, unless it is very, very heavily planted, prepare for lots of disputes. I don't enjoy watching it.
I'll call and ask tomorrow, but do you know a centerpiece that can be fine in 81-82 degrees?

I have some space in a 10 gal, and I wanna add some fish.

Current Stocking

2 nerites
2 amanos
random ramshorns

I want to add a pair(or trio) of centerpiece-type fish that are a little bigger than the endlers that I had before. However, I have a preset filter, and the tank is usually at 81-82 degrees. I wanted to get some peacock gudgeons or killifish, but I'm not sure if they'll be ok...

Tigerburp

Current Stocking

2 nerites
2 amanos
random ramshorns
I want to add a pair(or trio) of centerpiece-type fish that are a little bigger than the endlers that I had before. However, I have a preset filter, and the tank is usually at 81-82 degrees. I wanted to get some peacock gudgeons or killifish, but I'm not sure if they'll be ok...
Not many fish can survive at that temperature,killifish can’t don’t know about gudgeon, could you lower the temperature?

Pfrozen

The peacock gobies so far have been the only fish I tried that seemed truly comfortable in a 10g tank. Colorful fish and very fun, will breed for you as well. I believe I've only tried pencilfish, peacocks, and harlequins in 10g though.

Chewbacca773

Not many fish can survive at that temperature,killifish can’t don’t know about gudgeon, could you lower the temperature?
No, it's a preset heater and I don't wanna spend 15-20$ on an adjustable one.

Tigerburp

No, it's a preset heater and I don't wanna spend 15-20$ on an adjustable one.
Ok so gudgeons are a no too they can’t handle such a high temp, so if you want to have either of those you need a new heater ,actually what is you temp without a heater?

Chewbacca773

Ok so gudgeons are a no too they can’t handle such a high temp, so if you want to have either of those you need a new heater ,actually what is you temp without a heater?
Actually, I like how you think! I'll check that

Tigerburp

Actually, I like how you think! I'll check that
I actually run tanks just fine without a heater ,it’s actually quite fun

Pfrozen

My gudgeons are doing well at 80 F, I'm sure some members keep them lower but I've had zero issues

Chewbacca773

I actually run tanks just fine without a heater ,it’s actually quite fun
Ok, I have to wait for the temp to adjust, but my house is 76-78 degrees year round
My gudgeons are doing well at 80 F, I'm sure some members keep them lower but I've had zero issues
Yeahhhh but 81 is usually the lowest

Tigerburp

Ok, I have to wait for the temp to adjust, but my house is 76-78 degrees year round

That temp should be fine actually

Pfrozen

You could buy a little clip-on fan to keep it a bit lower but I guess you may as well buy a new heater then

Chewbacca773

That temp should be fine actually
Okay, Thank you! So I can just unplug the heater and everyone in the tank will be fine?

2 nerites and 2 amanos btw

Tigerburp

Okay, Thank you! So I can just unplug the heater and everyone in the tank will be fine?

2 nerites and 2 amanos btw
If you checked the temp without a heater correctly yes they should be fine

Pfrozen

Just keep in mind that the usual range for them is up to 79. Mine are doing very well at 80 and I feel like 81 would be "okay" but your mileage may vary

Chewbacca773

You could buy a little clip-on fan to keep it a bit lower but I guess you may as well buy a new heater then
wait would just unplugging the heater be fine?

Tigerburp

To be honest I wouldn’t know I never used a heater

Chewbacca773

hm, I'll ask the LFS what they keep them at

Fishmaster64

Current Stocking

2 nerites
2 amanos
random ramshorns

A golden honey gourami would do fine e in those conditions, however a 10 gallon can only hold 1, perhaps add some tetras?

Chewbacca773

A golden honey gourami would do fine e in those conditions, however a 10 gallon can only hold 1, perhaps add some tetras?
eh, that would make my tank fully stocked, I would either do a school of something or a pair of something.
Are there any really cool schoolers that can go in a 10?

peachsonas

don't think they're considered centerpiece fish, but harlequin rasboras can stand warmer temps and you could get a school of those since they're tiny. I kept a school of 6 before with my betta in a school of 6

Chewbacca773

harlequin rasboras can stand warmer temps and you could get a school of those since they're tiny. I kept a school of 6 before with my betta in a school of 6
hmmm I was gonna go for something like pencil fish or smthn that's a really interesting school

FishDin

Certainly. Your tank would revert to the room temperature plus any heat absorbed from your lights and filter etc., which should be negligible. So for your situation the temps should stay in the mid to high 70's.That should give you more options for fish.

Chewbacca773

Ok heres what I'm thinking...

Already in -

2 nerites
2 amano shrimp
random ramshorn snails
Wanna add -

2 peacock gudgeons/ gardeneri killifish

Should I add a schooling-type fish so the gudgeons will come out more? I've heard they are very shy and don't really come out unlless they have tankmates. I was thinking some chili rasboras/exclamation point rasboras/lampeye rasboras (maybe 6-7). What do you guys think?

Certainly. Your tank would revert to the room temperature plus any heat absorbed from your lights and filter etc., which should be negligible. So for your situation the temps should stay in the mid to high 70's.That should give you more options for fish.
I'll go to the store and then figure out if I want gardneri killifiah or peacock gudgeons

ruud

I'll call and ask tomorrow, but do you know a centerpiece that can be fine in 81-82 degrees?

Current Stocking

2 nerites
2 amanos
random ramshorns

Dario fish are comfortable at the range of 65-70, not 81-82, so no need to call the LFS ;). Furthermore, I expect your LFS to say they have females because some specimen are really pale compared to some dominant Dario. However, subordinate males resemble females.

When I think of 81-82 fahrenheit and a centerpiece fish, the usual soft water fish pop-up. Perhaps move the snails to another, less soft water tank.

Ah, should've red the whole thread; you've excluded Dario.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
40 Gallon Tank 40b planted stocking idea
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views