Fumigation Help

1. FishermanFishkeeper Initiate Member

My house is going to be fumigated and i have 1 red tailed shark 3 cory cats and 8 lemon tetras in a 75 gallon aqaurium and my house will be fumigated for 2-3 days is there something i can do to prevent the fish from dying and preserving my bacteria

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Huffin' days for what?? I had spider issues that they fumigated my place for 24 hours. I unplugged my filters and (maybe overreacted) threw my betta into a bottle and took him with me because they're air breathers. I would think as long as the media stays wet it will be alright. I almost want to say throw the media in a mesh bag and throw that in the tank so you don't loose your cycle but you can still unplug your filters. Like I said though, mine was only overnight.

3. kuhlkid Member Member

I'd be scared to let pesticides touch my tank at all, so here's my suggestion:

• Get a rubbermaid tub (I use this one as my QT, works very well).
    • Fill the tub with tank water, run your filter(s)+ heater(s) on it, put the fish in, and take the whole setup with you (if you're worried about aggression in a small temporary space, you can partition your different types of fish using something like this). This will keep your BB alive during the fumigation period. Don't worry about filters and heaters being unplugged during transport, your BB will survive a few hours without the filters running. Just plug back in once you get to wherever you're staying.
    • Meanwhile, drain your aquarium entirely and put it outside, wrapped in a sheet or a tarp. If chemical residue is even left on the glass, you risk cross-contamination and your fish may react.
    • When you come back home, you can add 100% fresh, dechlorinated water and your cycle should be fine, since your filters and your BB have still been safely running on the tub.
    That seems safest to me, anyway! Good luck!!!

4. FishermanFishkeeper Initiate Member

Thank you

5. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Depending on the size of tank I guess :) my new 60g would be a little difficult to move. At that point I might just throw a drop sheep over the whole thing.