Fully stocked?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BettasAndAnOscar, Aug 12, 2015.

1. BettasAndAnOscar

BettasAndAnOscarValued MemberMember

In my 29 gallon planted tank with rocks and driftwood I currently have 6 neon tetras, 2 male guppies, a dwarf gourami, a betta, and a mystery snail. Is there anything else I could add?

I was thinking about tossing in a female guppy and getting a feeder farm started for my oscar. He hasn't had live food in over a month (besides crickets), and I can tell he misses it.

I have been told numerous times to remove the betta. It is a stunning HMPK (short finned), and does great with the other fish. He is not aggressive in the slightest, even towards guppies. I have never seen him flare (besides during spawning) as long as I have had him. None of the other fish nip fins, as he is a short finned betta.

Substrate is fluorite and gravel, with black sand underneath. No cories :)

Other suggestions, if I'm not fully stocked? Running a Whisper 40 and a Quietflow 20 HOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

I know I've seen videos where the bettas get along with the guppies. I would definitely keep an eye on him. The other thing I've read has been gouramis not mixing well with bettas.

If you had female guppies, you would want to add the correct ratio. If you just add one, the males are going to be stressful to her because they want to make babies. The ratio is 2 females to 1 male, so you would be looking at adding 4 female guppies.

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The betta and gourami should be separated. I would get the betta it's own tank then you would be ok as far as stocking go. You could get some more tetra.

Insects are much better for your Oscar than live fish. I would not worry about breeding food for it.

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Most of the betta horror stories I've heard have involved a betta that got along fine with their tankmates...and then one day, it just SNAPS out of nowhere, and suddenly it's a bloodbath. So, it's a risk...

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

As long as the betta is getting along with the gourami and guppies and you're keeping a close eye on them I'd say you're fine as far as that goes, imo.

Remember, if you decide to get a female guppy, you'll need the correct m/f ratio, so you'd either need to rehome one of the males and get two females or get four females, but I don't know if that would put you overstocked technically speaking. I'm not too good at calculation bioloads on bigger tanks lol.

6. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I agree with the others about removing the betta. However, that is ultimately your choice, and you have been made aware of the risks involved. That said, you could add a few more neons. Id say maybe 2 more male guppies, but its hard to say as they can become a betta target and vice versa. If you decided to remove the betta to its own tank, id highly suggest a few more male guppies, and of course some more neons.

7. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

To everyone who said to remove the betta:

I have 3 backup tanks on hand at the moment. One is a 2.5 minibow, cycled and running. I could always remove the betta if I absolutely had to.

I have bred this betta and have a good feel for his personality. He is a gentle breeder and an attentive father. He does absolutely wonderful in the 29. I could not bear to move this active fish into a smaller tank.

Of all my fish, I am most experienced with bettas. The last betta in this community lived 7 years with no issues. :D

8. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The only reason I suggested removing the betta is because you are keeping it with another labyrinth fish. Not a good idea from what I hear.

Neons also need cooler water than the betta and gourami for what it's worth..

9. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

I keep the water at 76 degrees. Is that okay? It seems to be a good balance.

The gourami and betta will work on bubble nests together. It's quite cute!

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I keep my betta tank between 76 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit, and he is very active and happy. :)

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No, neons need their temp under 74 and bettas need it over 78.
    And I agree, I wouldn't be keeping a betta with a gourami.

12. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

So, am I supposed to rehome the gourami, move the betta, rehome the guppies? I always thought in a community you just compromise, and get as close as you can to finding a balance. If this is the case, what fish can even be kept together in a tropical community? They all seem very active and healthy.

13. Anders247

Fish can be kept together in a tropical community if they are compatible temperature wise, aggression wise, and pH wise, etc.

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

All you really need to do imo is to remove the betta and you can keep the gourami and the neons together if you could somehow keep the temp at 74 degrees, since the temp range of the gourami is 72-82.

15. Bluestreakfl

My neons have been kept at 80F without issues. Ironically of all my fish, they have been the hardiest. Its the higher end of their temperature range but still doable.

16. Anders247

Are you sure they are neons? This has to do with their lifespan being shortened, I'm pretty sure they will still act normal.

17. Bluestreakfl

As is the case with most fish and invertebrates, warmer temps speed up metabolism. I did alot of research on them before I got them and most places and people put 80 as the high end of their safe temperature range. Some places even stated 82, but I didnt want to push it.

18. Anders247

@chromedome52 can explain the temp range.....
    The places saying 80 and 82 are wrong, they simply have been copied from incorrect info.....

19. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Neons come from the Peruvian Amazon, at higher altitudes. Many of these streams are fed from the mountains, as well. Altitude = lower temperatures. Cardinals and Green Neons come from rivers that are mostly in the lowlands, and they prefer temperatures in the low 80s.

I don't know why or when people started trying to keep Neons at warmer temperatures. I think someone just copied the data for Cardinals into a profile on Neons. The suggested temperature range was 72-76 back in the 1970s. A lot of fish will survive at higher temperatures, but they will "burn out" earlier. You can keep Goldfish at 80, too, but is it right to do so? At 74 a healthy group of innesi should live 4-5 years easily. At 80 I would expect that to be halved.

20. Bluestreakfl

Would commercially bred neons not be more adapted to a wider range of paramaters than wild caught ones? After all theyre one of the most common fish in the trade, id think tank raised ones would be slightly more tolerant. I may have to revisit my temperature.