Fully Cycled Goldfish Tank ready for Bettas?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishfishfishfishfish, Aug 7, 2015.

1. fishfishfishfishfishNew MemberMember

Hi all, I just joined.

I have a question. I have a fully cycled 10 gallon tank for one goldfish. My friend, who just finished cycling his 20 gallon with no fish, wants a goldfish so I want to give it to him. My question is, will the tank be fully suitable for the bettas (besides installing a water heater)? Will I need to do any water changes/ do anything to the water before it will be suitable for the bettas?

(Sidenote: How many bettas would be able to comfortably live in the 10 gallons?)

2. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Very creative (and fishy) username haha!

What kind of goldfish? No goldfish can comfortably live in a 10g permanently, but I see that since you're giving him to your friend whom has a 20g, hopefully the goldfish is the right kind that can live in a 20g.

Unless the goldfish has been sick, I'd do a water change and add the heater, imo. Others' might have more ideas. Don't forget to treat the water with a water conditioner like Prime before adding the betta!

Also, if you don't have one already, I'd get a liquid test kit like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, to keep an eye on your water parameters.

Male bettas cannot live together in the same tank unless it is divided. If they are put together, they will fight, injure, and very possibly kill each other due to their aggressive nature towards other bettas. I think one betta would be thrilled to have a big 10g all to himself, but if you want, you can use a good, sturdy divider that isn't see through yet still allows water to flow through and have one betta on each side of the divider, meaning two bettas in a divided ten gallon.

Hope I was able to help some!

3. fishfishfishfishfishNew MemberMember

So, is it possible to have one male/one female or 2 females without a divider?

EDIT: Also, will I need any more decor for bettas? I currently just have a silk plant with gravel. And, how much water will I need to replace? Just a regular 25% change, or more?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

No, male and female bettas cannot live together for extended periods of time. You might see people online have luck with this, but it is EXTREMELY rare that it'll work out. Female bettas can sometimes live together in what is called a female betta sorority, but you'll need backup tanks, more than two females, and a bigger tank that what you have now.

I am not completely sure how much water you should change, unless the goldfish was sick recently I'd only do enough to "clean up" the tank (not tearing the tank down and rinsing everything), just my personal opinion. Please get the advice of others before acting on this.

Bettas love to explore! I'd get a few more silk plants, and some decorations for him to hide in and swim through. Be sure to run your fingers over any new décor to check for rough spots that could harm his fins and rinse really well before adding them to the tank.

5. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

I agree that without a divider you can only have one betta in your tank. They like to hide so provide additional silk or real plants and maybe a betta log for him to hide in. I find mine likes to sometimes lie on the marimo moss ball.

6. fishfishfishfishfishNew MemberMember

So either one betta, or two males with a divider, correct?

7. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Correct. Also, you must make sure that there's no place that they can squeeze through the divider, and that includes jumping over, because bettas are notorious for jumping. And they mustn't be flaring at each other through the divider all the time, as that will stress them out. That's why I'd recommend a divider they can't see through.

8. fishfishfishfishfishNew MemberMember

Is there a way I can have 3 bettas or no? Also, how would I be able to get on of those dividers?

9. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with BTWB on everything said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice