Fullsize dojos with an axolotl??

MonumentalMurderBean

If this is a bad idea, thats the first thing i was to know. I have a 75g planted tank with sand substrate, smooth rocks and a few weathered bits of wood. Currently stocked with zebra loaches, full size dojo loaches and a large redtail shark (hes extremely peaceful and old, he just hangs out in his cave most of the time) and a 12ish inch tiretrack eel (who almost never comes out whatsoever). Its a coldwater system thats built for soft sensitive aquatics. Would an axolotl be okay in there? My only comcern would be the frills maybe looking like bloodworms? But the loaches are fed often and with good hearty foods so... im just curious, i have always wanted an axy.

WRWAquarium

Not worth the risk in my opinion mixing axolotols and fish.

Nipping can go either way, as you say the gills are tempting to fish. Axolotls are pretty clumsy eaters and could do some damage easily too. Anything that fits in the mouth it might try to eat.

Secondly what is your tank substrate?
Axolotls can eat gravel and die. Sand or bare bottom/slate is best.

Temperature needs to be truly cold for axolotls. 20c max really unless short periods or it can be stressful.

Lighting is preferably dim and a good sized hide very appreciated. Bear in mind axolotl tank setup is different to fish quite often. Too much decor and plants can get them stuck and stressed.

If it's a juvenile axolotol water level can't be too deep, I'd say 12 inches max until adult. A fully filled 75 would be a good swim up for an adult as they do need to come to the surface time to time.

Stress from large active fish could be an issue. Axolotls are slow and clumsy and I doubt would appreciate a big loach rubbing against them all day.

Target feeding the axolotl would be a must. It would get out competed by fish I'd of thought.

It may be possible, all fish and axolotols are going to be different but I could not recommend it.

MonumentalMurderBean

Not worth the risk in my opinion mixing axolotols and fish.

Nipping can go either way, as you say the gills are tempting to fish. Axolotls are pretty clumsy eaters and could do some damage easily too. Anything that fits in the mouth it might try to eat.

Secondly what is your tank substrate?
Axolotls can eat gravel and die. Sand or bare bottom/slate is best.

Temperature needs to be truly cold for axolotls. 20c max really unless short periods or it can be stressful.

Lighting is preferably dim and a good sized hide very appreciated. Bear in mind axolotl tank setup is different to fish quite often. Too much decor and plants can get them stuck and stressed.

If it's a juvenile axolotol water level can't be too deep, I'd say 12 inches max until adult. A fully filled 75 would be a good swim up for an adult as they do need to come to the surface time to time.

Stress from large active fish could be an issue. Axolotls are slow and clumsy and I doubt would appreciate a big loach rubbing against them all day.

Target feeding the axolotl would be a must. It would get out competed by fish I'd of thought.

It may be possible, all fish and axolotols are going to be different but I could not recommend it.
Awesome! Wont risk it, just a curiousity!

Random Great Thread!

New Loach Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom