Full tank control system and multi tank filter, your opinion? Question

1. Charles Wagner

Charles Wagner Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for a new electronics side project for a while, I design electronics for a living and have been constantly looking for a way to hook up multiple tanks easy to one big filter. I have yet to see anything. Here is what I am thinking:

1 - Electronic Valves and flow sensors controlled and monitored by a micro controller so the water comming in is the same as the water going to the filter

2 - A water level check to monitor the water level so if the valves or flow sensors are failing it will over ride those readings and keep the water between those 2 points (or if it is slightly off)

3 - Since we are adding inteligence might as well make it monitor the tempature and report it to a LCD screen, and control a backup heater or even controll the main heater

4 - Monitor what ever water propertys it can without hugly expensive sencors

5 - Keeps track of time, so you can program a timmer for the lighting, and controlls LED hoods so it can dim as the daylight dims, either threw sensing the outside light threw a sensor or simply via time

6 - Keeps track of days left before a water change is needed (soaly time based)

Before I have everyone jump down my neck, this would be tested and developed on an empty 10 gallon tank I have with no fish in it.

While I CAN do all this, It would take a large block of time (being a full time engineer and a full time business owner time is expensive and rare) to create, and pricy for parts since its all hand made. I do not want to go threw the hassle untill I get feedback on what everyone would think of a system like this.

What does everyone think of a system like this?

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +79
    If this is something you can do, by all means do it! :)
    I would do this for myself if I could but I have no experience with building such as this! Sounds awesome!

3. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    How about just a single tank with an automatic water changer with automated mixing reservoirs?

4. OP
    OP
    Charles Wagner

Charles Wagner Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would be easy to add, the water changer it think would have to be under gravel filters.. as far as the mixing part that is easy. just use a bucket and some parametric pumps (parametric so we can control amount that goes in)

I am going to end up building it in pieces, so il build the thermometer part only, then add the water flow controls, and so on.