full spectrum LED for non planted tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bizaliz3, Jul 29, 2015.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I am looking to buy an inexpensive 48 inch led light for my tank. I am using ebay to save money and there are two different ones I am trying to choose between. (obviously they are not name brand) The only difference between the two, one of them is just blue and white lights. The other is "full spectrum" so it has some reds and greens in there too. From what I understand, full spectrum is more for planted tanks? It would only cost me $4 more dollars to get the full spectrum light. Is it worth it if I don't do live plants, and I don't plan on doing live plants? Or should I just save $4 and stick with the straight blue and white leds?

Long story short......If I do NOT have a planted tank, what are the benefits (if any) to having a full spectrum light?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would get full spectrum in case you decide to plant in the future. It's only $4, and it's way cheaper than changing your mind later and having to buy a whole new light. Does it give a color temp? (It'll be between 1000 - 10000 K).

3. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Would there be any benefits in a non planted tank though? Will the fish appear more vibrant in color maybe?

Here are the specifications....

SPECIFICATION:

• Includes 189LEDs

• 90x 6500K cool white

• 75x Actinic Blue 460nm

• 12xRed 620-625nm

• 12xGreen 520-525nm

• Lumen : 2450

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The 6500K is good for plants, so that's good. A lot of people don't like actinic blue lights for their aquarium though - it can look a bit strange.

And there really aren't any benefits for a non-planted tank except expense, though there are lots of benefits for planted tanks (uptake of nitrates, more reflective of natural habitat, additional food, more hiding areas).

5. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I personally like having the blues and reds. It gives the colors of the tank a boost

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice