Full grown redtails with koi?

SaberKillerWystan

Reaction score
Guys I have a baby Redtail Catfish in a 180 gallon tank. I’m thinking of putting him in my large 50000 gallon pond with koi. Would that be ok? Will it eat the koi’s when it grows up?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is always the possibility of a large catfish eating its tank mates. One way to hopefully curb this is to keep it well fed.

I will say the koI pond is far better than the 180 for a big red tail.

OP
SaberKillerWystan

SaberKillerWystan

Reaction score
Ok thnx

After he grows a bit bigger I’ll put him in. But the pond is shaded on one side and not shaded on the other. Also how do I train him to handfeed?

Ok but will he eat the koi? The koI are full grown btw, but if I feed him until he’s very full will he still eat them?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Training him in the tank before moving him to the pond may be easier. Try using tongs at first and eventually he should be fine with hand feeding.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, he will. One of my friends has a 6.5' that eats everything, from stupid chickens, to the neighbors ducks (that go through three different barriers to prevent them from getting to the redtail's pond), to whole fish, even some turtles. He is around 120-150lbs. If it will fit in his mouth he will eat it.

Yes, fish are never full, anything they think is food will be tried - even if it was just fed not even two minutes ago. I've seen pictus catfish eat a small CAE right after having bloodworms where it was already nicely rounded with food.

OP
SaberKillerWystan

SaberKillerWystan

Reaction score
Well gotta get rid of it

And even if it’s like max size koI will they still be able to eat him?

What if I house them together at a very young age?

Also can I just like get another 3000 gallon tub?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Biggest thing is going to make sure it goes to a good home that will be able to house it long term. The one I my first post went from 12 inches to 4ft in about 8 months after being moved to the pond. Yes, the things the 6.5' one eats are all massive, the turtle it ate was 12" in diameter- gone in a gulp. Once he hits even 3ft he will eat the koI no matter the size, it will just make him grow faster with the surplus food. He will get massive, even full size koI won't be too much for him to swallow; koI are also too stupid to avoid a hunting catfish and don't have the instincts bass and other noncarp have to avoid being snacked on (I mean i've seen goldfish literally take food directly from a crayfish's mouth mandibles being right between the claws without even flinching away).

Catfish are not social with other species, doesn't matter how long they were together - if it fits in their mouth they will try (and most often) succeed in eating it.
3000 would be a short term solution as it would not be big enough for the cat long term.

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
SaberKillerWystan said:
What if I house them together at a very young age?
I very seriously doubt that will make a difference. Catfish sees movement and its instinct is "eat." They aren't exactly big on sentimentality.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd go with at least 10k gallons, not only for the mess it will make but to insure the pond is deep enough and has enough wiggle room for a full sized redtail cat. You can attempt to put a solid barrier in the bigger pond and make a section of the current pond the cat's permanent home, but you would have to really secure it.

OP
SaberKillerWystan

SaberKillerWystan

Reaction score
So how many gallons of a tub would u recommend

How big is a 10k tub?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A fifth the size of your pond. The 6.5' cat is in roughly 65,000 gallons.

New Threads