Fugu Puffers

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Hello fellow fishlore chum(p)s ;)

I was driving hom with my bf when he randomly came out with I want a fugu puffer fish tank so first things first yay!

Secondly does anyone know tank minimum size for these fish, how many you can house in one tank? if they are as aggressive as their dwarf puffer friends. I believe they need brackish tanks so can you house other fish with these at all or is it simply just the puffers?

I look forward to your replies and experiences and I think we should welcome my bf into the MTS club!!

2. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Sorry, can't answer your question about Fugu puffers.

You're SO lucky your boyfriend enjoys fish too! My husband will "play" with my stars & stripes puffer & lionfish (moving his hand along the tank while they follow, talking to them), but has no desire to get his own tank. :(

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The blowfish that are used for sushi are fully marine. You'd be looking for the genus Takifugo, lagocephalus, sphoeroides, or diodon (the last being in the porcupinefish family). They all get pretty big, and I'd guess you'd be looking at needing at least a fifty gallon tank, maybe more (not sure just how big they get, sorry).
    Other than size an need for marine water, they're going to act like other puffers. They'll primarily eat mollusks, will need something with a hard shell to periodically wear their teeth down. They're going to be messy eaters, so heavy on the filtration.

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Ooh right so a full marine set up ties in with what I wanted to do next anyway so this is perfect!!

Should this thread be moved to the saltwater section then?

5. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

WARNING - DON'T LOOK AT GOOGLE IMAGES FOR FUGU PUFFERS!
    They're used for sushi. :'( Really upsetting pictures.

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

They are cute when you find the non sushi pics though :)

7. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Definitely! I love puffers! They're so much fun and attentive. Much like finned dogs!

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Now I want one even more :p.

Do lionheads and puffers work well together in your experience?

9. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

10. Diggly Well Known Member Member

The saltwater lionfish not that I have anything against goldies but I dont think one could tolerate marine conditions.
    do you have any pictures?

Edit: I just looked at the blog and that is the lionhead I am talking about :). Gorgeous tank and fish!!

11. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, LOL! I never want to assume what anyone is talking about though. lol.

Thanks! I've worked really hard on it. I love my fishy babies.