FS: Red Cherry Shrimp, Upstate SC

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade, Free' started by thequietman44, Apr 9, 2010.

1. thequietman44

thequietman44Valued MemberMember

My shrimp tank population is getting pretty high and I'd like to thin it out a bit. If anyone's interested you can have a dozen (12 + extras) for $10. If you want them shipped contact me for an exact quote (usually around $8 for Priority).

I'll be shipping a mix of juvies and adults. If you want all adults (I wouldn't recommend it, but it's up to you) contact me and I'll see how many I have available. Berried females may be available as well.

Check my galleries for pictures, I'll be putting up a few more this weekend.

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

can you find out shipping for 03077? id love some!

3. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

definitely interested, sending a PM :)

4. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Those guys are cool! Are they compatible with most fish? Or is there something very specific they absolutely cannot be with?

5. OP
    OP
    thequietman44

They absolutely cannot be with any aggressive fish big enough to eat them :). I suppose it would be best if there were no fish with mouths big enough to eat them, but as long as the fish are peaceful it's probably okay. I've noticed my black skirt tetras taking a shot at the little ones from time to time, but nothing that has really affected the shrimp's ability to thrive in a community tank.

They make a great cleanup crew and the juvies adapt easily to a wide variety of water parameters (which is why I ship a mix). They can also live in an unheated aquarium (though breeding rate is affected). They really add character and a bit of color to the substrate as well.

Shawnie, looks like shipping to 03077 would be about $8. For anyone else wondering, shipping is never over $11 (cost of a flat-rate box), and as I said usually is $7-8. Any questions feel free to ask here or PM!

6. KitsuneValued MemberMember

Do you ship to Canada at all by chance?

7. OP
    OP
    thequietman44

Well, I would be willing to ship to Canada, but I never have so I'm not sure if there are issues with importing live shrimp etc. Shipping would be outrageous for 2-3 day delivery I'm sure.

If I dare mention it, Aquabid has several sellers who are in Canada selling cherry shrimp. It might be cheaper to buy from them, I don't know. If you'd like I can look into shipping to Canada.

8. OP
    OP
    thequietman44

My shrimp population is much smaller, but I'd still like to see it reduced by about 4-5 dozen more so the remaining shrimp have a lot of room to grow over the summer.

I will be shipping with breather bags in foam-insulated boxes, so even if the weather in your area is less than ideal (hot/cold) they should be just fine.

9. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

i PM'd You

how much for an order of RCS and a bunch of javamoss?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  10. chunkdaddyValued MemberMember

I was thinking about getting a pleco to keep my tank clean, will these guys do the same?

11. OP
    OP
    thequietman44

Personally I think they do a much better job (in sufficient numbers) because they pick at everything, even the tiniest particle or strand of algae. Of course, in my experience, no algae eater whether fish or invert really "polishes" any surface. There is always a little film of something on decoration and glass. My shrimp do a good job of keeping it in check by crawlin over everything, inspecting for any tasty morsels :).

I've never had a pleco so I couldn't say how the cleaning compares, although they seem about as effective as otos.

12. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

how many berried females do you have left?

13. OP
    OP
    thequietman44

Not many berried females left that I can see. Most of them have hatched their eggs and I have a bunch of tiny shrimplets crawling about now :). If the tentative orders I have now all go through my shrimp population should be down to a manageable size and allow better growth for the summer. Hopefully I will have plenty more in the fall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice