Fry tanks

1. d

damprye Valued Member Member

I know you need to keep the tank free of old food debris and waste but how old should the fry be before I start doing water changes.
    How old should they be before I can put them in my 55g tank, I know that they are very sensitive early on (especially in the first coupl of weeks) but I really need to know especially because the big filter for that tank has just broken down and I need to get a new one.
    It is 9 days since spawning, they have grown so big compared to when I first met them ;D
    Also is it normal for them to be more active once the light goes off? While I had Daddy in there the light was on 24/7 but now I turn it off at night and within an hour all the ones in hiding start swarming the tank, I only noticed this last night and can't believe how many fry there are :;balloons

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Damprye :;hi2

Hopefully you'll get some responses from some of our other Betta breeders today.

Ken

3. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Damprye,
    Glad to hear the fry are doing well :)
    I'm not an (experianced) breeder but one way to postphone any major water changes is to set up a fresh water drip. Basically instead of doing a big water change what you do is take a 2L pop bottle (well rinsed), put a hole in the cap and attach some air line tubing through that. You fill the pop bottle with fresh aged/decholorinated water then hang it above the fry tank. Put a valve on the air line tubing and adjust it so that the new water drips into the tank slowly. This method doesn't stress the fry but adds fresh water to the tank that will dilute anything not removed by the sponge filter (ie growth hormones etc.)
    Don't quote me on this but I believe that you can start water changes either once you have the breeding tank full, or around the two week mark.

Here are some links that might help you out...
    From the Betty Splendens Raising fry section:
    Clean Water
    The First Two Weeks
    Weeks 3 and 4

Hope that helps,
    Red

4. OP
    OP
    d

It did help thank you Red.
    Just for future reference for others here is some quoted text from the site-
    "At four weeks of age, I also move the fry from the container they were spawned in to growout tanks and tubs of 20 gallons or more. Now I really start feeding and changing water, and I put a sponge filter in there set on high. Twice a week I siphon the bottom of the tank, taking about a quarter of the water, and replace it with fresh water. Between now and eight weeks of age I start catching and jarring the largest or most aggressive fry to minimize the amount of torn fins in the growout tank."

5. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry I just now saw this...

I do not add any new water for the 1st week...After a week I add 2 liters a day until the tank is full...After that I do daily water changes of about 1 gallon and use an air tube hose to drip the new water in slowly...

As far as moving them to the 55 if it is bare bottom you can safely transfer them at 1 month old...I set the whole fry tank inside the larger tank and let it reach the same temp...Then I tip the smaller tank on it's side and let the fry swim out....

Hope this helps..

6. OP
    OP
    d

There is alot of gravel in the 55g, how much of a problem is that?
    And thank you, I will start do add water in the morning, they are 10days old now and developing well :)

7. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

If there is gravel then I'd wait at least 2 months maybe longer...Growing fry need immaculate water conditions and that is hard to acheive with gravel...

8. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I agree with MM..gravel can hold and hide all kinds of nasty stuff that can foul up the water. Not to mention, if they are still very small when you do move them, they can get stuck in the gravel and die...

9. OP
    OP
    d

Wow, I will have to move all 20ltrs of gravel lol, I don't want their growth stunted by staying in the smaller tank otherwise I would leave them in there for a little longer.

10. OP
    OP
    d

I have done my first addition of 2ltrs to the fry tank and now the levels are Ammonia-0.25, Nitrite-0.2, Nitrate-5, Ph-7.8 and Alkalinity is low.
    My tank was fully cycled before allowing my betta to breed.
    Is the reason for the above levels because I have not been adding water and not being able to remove waste? (I finally mastered that today.)
    I have not been overfeeding and my 12day old betta are as large/long as three week olds. I take that as a good thing?
    The temperature is a constant 81*F and I made sure the new (treated) water was the same temp before slowly adding it.
    I could not add my cycled water as it has had contaminated equipment in it (having a small issue with finrot from the rescued bettas) and I want to do my best to keep my fry healthy.
    What can I do to help my fry with the levels of the water?
    I do have the sponge filter going, it has never stopped and I have two snails in there, although, now that I have gotten on top of the over feeding I could probably take one out if that would help.
    Has anyone got any suggestions or advice?