fry tank has weird white stuff on the walls and gravel O_o

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ILikeFishies, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

Hello everyone. There is some strange white things growing on the wall and gravel of my fry tank, consisting of platies and guppy fry (4 gallons)
    here are some pics,its not too clear but its the clearest i could get IMG_0934.jpg IMG_0940.jpg

its never happened to me before. It all started about 2-3 weeks ago when i went over to my friends house for about 4 days. I wouldnt worry much about my fry tank because my mum usually feeds them for me even when im around (she just loves those little fry) so then after i came back i noticed that there were lots of white string like thingies everywhere, on covering the gravel and walls.(like in the picture, though it was worse) it was so gross to look at D: gave me goosebumps. so then i proceeded to do a full 100% water change. i vacuumed the gravel to get as much of those things off (they were quite sticky so i actually had to stir the gravel around to get it off). i scrubbed the walls and decor and rinsed the live plants. and everything looked good and clean. and then just a few days ago i noticed more white stringy things D: (which are those pictures above)

i did a 25% water change and got them out.. then just today again i saw more stringy things. what am i supposed to do :(...are they dangerous to my fish D:?

(btw, they remind of of spider webs..covering the gravel and everything)

2. geminichick_90

geminichick_90 Valued Member Member

To me they look like Detritus worms. Not harmful to fish from what i have heard. They are a product of overfeeding your fish. The best way to get rid of them is to cut back on your feedings.

3. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oh ;o! thank god. i was suspecting that it was overfeeding. My mum always over feeds my fish! D:!(she loves feeding them, she somehow get joy from feeding them o.o)
    I repeatedly tell her to cut back on their feedings but she said and i quote 'They look like they're starving! The moment i come anywhere close to the tank they all rush around for food' . She says that aaalll the time :p. Well i'll just have to keep reminding her. Thank you :)

4. geminichick_90

something you could try is taking a one week pill box and put the amount of food that you want to be feed and that alone in each day and tell your mom that that is all they get for the day. Then hide the rest of the food from her

5. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i've got one of those little coffee spoon from coffee shops, i've already showed her the amount to be given xD. But knowing her, she will still sneak in some feedings when she sees them looking so hungry and pitiful :O

6. geminichick_90

that's why i highly suggest the pill box method and hiding the rest of the food for the week. Cause if she over feeds then they go "completely hungry" another day

7. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

hehe ill try to do that xD

8. geminichick_90

lol good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice