Fry sucked in fluval filter?

blackwater

So my red neon blue eyes have started breeding and i have a 5 gallon fluval for the fry with hornwort and the water lettucde they laid eggs on. the problem is i think that they may get sucked in the filter intakes. i also have java moss. would there be a way to stuff the filter intakes without clogging it?

StarGirl

Fluval makes a small pre filter sponge you can put on the intake. They are like 3$. They work great.

blackwater

Yeah but this is the problem because I'm afraid that the fry will get sucked into the intake.

Flyfisha

Rainbow fry are incredibly small. Far smaller than most of the fry people on this site are familiar with seeing ( live bearers fry ) .

What I have done to raise fry to the size they will eat live baby brine is to have them swimming in a soup of Infusorea. A 5 gallon bucket of old tank water sitting outside in the sun with grow green water. This green water is floating algae and micro organisms ( bugs) The green water is food not only food the tiny fry but also food for the Infusorea. For an easy explanation let me call Infusorea fresh water plankton. A group of dozens of creatures and plants.

I am sorry blackwater these fry are very difficult to raise successfully . The good news is the adults will spawn every morning of every day . The few fry and eggs that are not eaten by the adults will hatch . To increase the chances of getting more eggs you could add a spawning mop?

I realise putting fry in an unfiltered bucket or Fluval tank of dirty old tank water that has grown green gross looking water goes against everything we think we have learned. Raising fry is a new step in fish keeping should you wish to try you have lots of new things to learn .

A tank with fry
3F84DACB-D29B-4E99-9ACB-53118D7EE2D7.png. No filter is necessary for a month. Only very tiny water changes with more old green water.

559597F3-05EA-46C2-BE67-7705C2BE6B2C.png

An outdoor container of green water that is used for tiny water changes.
4B4BDA6C-5AD7-41B0-947A-AC95C1E9243A.jpeg

Repeat no filter is needed on the fry tank / bucket just an air stone

Edit to add.
The next thing to do goes against everything you have learnt.
Use a turkey baster or cup to catch fry. They are then dropped straight into the green water ( when you have some) straight in with no acclimation.

Day old fry picture. Sorry it’s almost impossible to see these tiny tiny fry in this picture
A142408A-BBED-4638-8659-D030B26A0467.jpeg

blackwater

Thank you both for the amazing advice! I actually have a jar of greenwater outside and that filter intake doesnt look that expensive.

Linda1234

I had a small kuhli loach that would get into my canister filter for months at a time. He was always a bit pale when i fished him out but other than that seemed no worse for the tear; i've had guppy frys that also seemed to collect in my canister filter. It didn't seem to harm them but they grew a lot slower ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
Replies