fry set up

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by tom28, Dec 3, 2009.

1. tom28Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    its been a while since ive posted anything/even been on the site but its that time again. my platies had fry, this time a lot more of them...even though i took almost all them out exept 2 females and a male. i have probably about 30 in my 20 gal. i was able to get rid of the first ones pretty fast to my school and freinds and grew a couple out to trade with a LFS. now i feel i have too many and i cant find a home for them. I was thinking about moving them out of the 20 gal so my other fish can swim/have lives and setting up a "growing tank". I was thinking about just using a old plastic bin..its about 40gal or something and just doing a lot of water changes (every 2 days or so) and everything to keep hormone levels down as i dont really want to do to many on my 20 gal since its fairly planted and they need the fish waste. anyone got any objections or other ideas i might be able to try?

thanks for the advice/ideas,

tom

ps yes id set up a heater and filter for the grow bin...
    also i see other people are having a lot of fry and dont know what to do with them...some people say get a "hungry fish"..id sort of like to keep mine so that i can get some more plants

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

i have a betta and i drop fry in his tank and my female in my livebearer tank keep the fish down

3. Kerber23Valued MemberMember

get a German Blue ram(GBR), or another fish that is seiagressive. HTey are beautiful and dont mess with fish unless it can eat it in one gulp :p. This is my female

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    t

tom28Valued MemberMember

...sorry i meant keep my fry so i can trade them in for some plants. my bad

5. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

sounds great!~ anything, with a heater and a filter, will work...my qt tank is a 30g tub from walmart...its plastic and used as a laundry or toy tub kinda thing....i just move an established filter and heater to it when needed.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice