Help Fry Removal By Using Airline Tubing?

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello! My friend has 20 gallon tank set up with some platys and guppies. One of the female platys gave birth but only a few fry seem to be surviving. The tank is pretty well planted but we are just watching the other fish hunt them down! Another female platy appears to be ready to give birth pretty soon as well and we would like to keep as many fry as possible in a separate 10 gallon grow out tank.

The question is, is removing fry by sucking them in airlines tubing to a bucket going to cause harm? We got this idea because we were cleaning out a small amount of debris from the bottom of the tank when two little fry got sucked up Into to the bucket. They are swimming in the bucket and didn’t seem to have any ill effect from that little adventure. Is this a viable option for removing fry? Any help is appreciated!!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to net them instead? Getting sucked into a tube may be a be traumatic and may risk more of them than netting them would.

Another option is move the platy about to give birth into the 10gal and move her out after she drops the fry

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the fry is a lot smaller than the tube, it is fine. Honestly a net is probably the worse of the two since they have to be taken out of water (fry tend to be very delicate... and from experiences, dry out easier - dont ask)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When i first seen my guppy fry about 2.5 years ago i was using a turkey baster to get them out one by one. Time consuming but effective. Since then I've let nature take its course cause your tank will soon be overrun with fry especially if you have a combo of pregnant guppies and platys. You could always upgrade to a 40 breeder and put the adults in there and let the 20 be the fry grow out tank

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the replies all!! The reason netting them is hard is because I think our net is too big haha. Turkey baster sounds like a good idea too try as well as long as we are gentle with it. I’ve used a turkey blaster before for cleaning in the tank but sometimes it seems like the water gets shaken up pretty hard in the baster. (Might have a crappy one as well)

If we do go for the airline again, I will be sure the fry are not too big for the tubing. Also I can have the bucket up pretty close to the tank level so that the flow isn’t super fast. I will keep you guys updated with what happens

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom