!Fry Questions!

UrSunRae

I have a few questions regarding raising betta fry! Would appreciate a bit of help ♡
Background: Our bettas bred four days ago (May 8), all fry have hatched & were tail-down yesterday (May 10).

1.I’ve seen conflicting sources on tank cleaning.. do you clean the water daily or wait two weeks before doing so?

2. should we take dad out of the breeding tank? The fry aren’t entirely free swimming but some are wandering around the tank while others are still holding onto their bubble nest. We worry about taking him out too early and hurting the ones who still have yolk.

3. Should we add more water to the tank over time, or leave it at 6 inches while the fry grow?

Cameron2585

1. I always clean out some of the water daily using airline and an airstone attached to it so it sucks up a tiny bit of water and it doesn't disturb the fry. To add the water back I add warm water in using airline again and I use a control valve so that it just drips slowly because the fry are extremely fragile.
2. I take my males out once I see that a few fry are free swimming but if the male isn't eating the fry you can just leave him in for another day
3. Definetely raise the water level but I'd say start after the 2nd week

AquaCaitlin

1) I start adding new water once they’re about a week old using airline tubing to slow the flow. Once they reach around 2 weeks I begin daily water changes with a airline tube siphon, careful not to suck the fry out. I up the amount I change until eventually I’m doing around 50-60% daily.

2) The main problem with leaving the male in there is that he might move the free swimming fry around too much, stressing them out. The fry in the nest will be fine without him, so it’s really your choice. Be careful when taking him out, they are usually holding fry in their mouth and you want to make sure he spits them out first.

3) Look at answer one

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies