Fry question

Discussion in 'Platy' started by sparkles22, Jul 13, 2015.

1. sparkles22

sparkles22 Valued Member Member

So I must have brought home a pregnant platy because now I have all these Lil baby orange platy fry... they must be a couple of weeks old because they are coming out of hiding. I was able to net 2 and put them in a separate breeding ox but there is atleast a 3... how many fry do platys have???
    And how long till I can let them swim with my other fish

I have 4 mollies
    7 platys
    5 danios
    10 neons
    2 bronze cories
    2 panda cories

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Platies, guppies, mollies all breed like rabbits, and you will have A LOT of fry... be prepared lol
    Bijou88 breeds platies, she can help you out.

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You'll want to leave them in there until your biggest fish cannot fit them in their mouths (in this case, the mollies). You're lucky you don't have a gourami or a ram because they hunt them down (especially the ram).

4. Dom90

Which isnt necessarily a bad thing if you want to keep the fry population in check...

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, this works for platies and guppies, though I try and get them out to a separate tank when I can catch them. It doesn't work for molly fry because they get big so quick. I currently have over 40 molly fry in a 10g tank. Luckily my local pet store will take them when they get big enough. I had two males I recently discovered who I have given away! No more fry!

6. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I think they have something like 80 babies at a time, but they give birth to them over a period of time, I could be completely wrong, but I seem to remember either reading or hearing that when my dad was new to platy fry.
    You will probably find your filter has quite a few either dead or alive depending on the type of filter on the tank. I remember my dad found a few live ones living in his canister filter.

7. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Oh boy lol I knew guppies breed like crazy... I'm gonna have to get another tank lol smaller one... I'll put it in my daughters room she loves the babies... named the 2 I have peanut butter and jelly

8. C

CodeSensei New Member Member

Mine had around 25 fry. Ive had them for a month now and not yet ready to join the community tank. Ive heard it takes 2 months before they can join.

One tip I wish I knew earlier. You might want to buy a breeder sponge filter so that the fry dont get sucked up in your filter. Or you would need to cover your filter with floss,,,which was less convenient for me. I had around 5 in the filter one day.

9. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Idk if she had more they hide real well I have only caught 2 and have seen a third

10. Dom90

How long has it been since the mother gave birth, do you know? Maybe the parents ate some of the fry :(

11. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

I'm gonna say a week... atleast

12. Dom90

I'd wait to get some answers from Bijou88, she breeds platies for fun :eek:

13. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Will do....

14. Dom90

It's not that I don't want to help, but she probably knows much more :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Lol its all good.. :) I hope I can get these Lil one to live so that I can keep em they are cute...

16. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Omg I just spotted 2 more hiding under a plant... in the middle of my tank.. dang

17. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They can have anywhere from about 10-40 or so fry at a time ime.

Filters are definitely a hazard for them, though I've never actually had any get sucked up, I keep pre filter sponges on now just to be safe.

You can sometimes suck them up when they're tiny with a turkey baster, it's tricky and takes loads of patience though. I also raise my fry in another tank instead of a breeder, but I have almost 100 right now.

Feed them flake food crumbled up into almost a powder, when they're young they haven't figured out how to eat off the surface yet so I pinch some and sink it under the water level.

The ones I've kept I've released when they were 1/2-3/4". Atm though I have about 30 week old fry in the main tank that nobody seems interested in eating at all, lol, I think they got bored with them. ..

Did I miss anything?

18. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Well there is no way for me to get the 2 hiding in the middle of my tank they are hiding pretty well as I just only spotted the second one.. I have ground up fish flakes as small as I could with a morter and pessel.... if i post a pic can u tell me how old they are

19. OP
    OP
    sparkles22

Ahhh one just got eaten right in front of me soo sad

20. Dom90

Save the fry if you want to raise them, the parents will eat them sooner or later...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice