Fry question

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I must have brought home a pregnant platy because now I have all these Lil baby orange platy fry... they must be a couple of weeks old because they are coming out of hiding. I was able to net 2 and put them in a separate breeding ox but there is atleast a 3... how many fry do platys have???
And how long till I can let them swim with my other fish

I have 4 mollies
7 platys
5 danios
10 neons
2 bronze cories
2 panda cories

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Platies, guppies, mollies all breed like rabbits, and you will have A LOT of fry... be prepared lol
Bijou88 breeds platies, she can help you out.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You'll want to leave them in there until your biggest fish cannot fit them in their mouths (in this case, the mollies). You're lucky you don't have a gourami or a ram because they hunt them down (especially the ram).

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You'll want to leave them in there until your biggest fish cannot fit them in their mouths (in this case, the mollies). You're lucky you don't have a gourami or a ram because they hunt them down (especially the ram).
Which isnt necessarily a bad thing if you want to keep the fry population in check...

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Which isnt necessarily a bad thing if you want to keep the fry population in check...
Yeah, this works for platies and guppies, though I try and get them out to a separate tank when I can catch them. It doesn't work for molly fry because they get big so quick. I currently have over 40 molly fry in a 10g tank. Luckily my local pet store will take them when they get big enough. I had two males I recently discovered who I have given away! No more fry!

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think they have something like 80 babies at a time, but they give birth to them over a period of time, I could be completely wrong, but I seem to remember either reading or hearing that when my dad was new to platy fry.
You will probably find your filter has quite a few either dead or alive depending on the type of filter on the tank. I remember my dad found a few live ones living in his canister filter.

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh boy lol I knew guppies breed like crazy... I'm gonna have to get another tank lol smaller one... I'll put it in my daughters room she loves the babies... named the 2 I have peanut butter and jelly

CodeSensei

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine had around 25 fry. Ive had them for a month now and not yet ready to join the community tank. Ive heard it takes 2 months before they can join.

One tip I wish I knew earlier. You might want to buy a breeder sponge filter so that the fry dont get sucked up in your filter. Or you would need to cover your filter with floss,,,which was less convenient for me. I had around 5 in the filter one day.

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Idk if she had more they hide real well I have only caught 2 and have seen a third

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How long has it been since the mother gave birth, do you know? Maybe the parents ate some of the fry

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm gonna say a week... atleast

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will do....

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol its all good.. I hope I can get these Lil one to live so that I can keep em they are cute...

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Omg I just spotted 2 more hiding under a plant... in the middle of my tank.. dang

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They can have anywhere from about 10-40 or so fry at a time ime.

Filters are definitely a hazard for them, though I've never actually had any get sucked up, I keep pre filter sponges on now just to be safe.

You can sometimes suck them up when they're tiny with a turkey baster, it's tricky and takes loads of patience though. I also raise my fry in another tank instead of a breeder, but I have almost 100 right now.

Feed them flake food crumbled up into almost a powder, when they're young they haven't figured out how to eat off the surface yet so I pinch some and sink it under the water level.

The ones I've kept I've released when they were 1/2-3/4". Atm though I have about 30 week old fry in the main tank that nobody seems interested in eating at all, lol, I think they got bored with them. ..

Did I miss anything?

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well there is no way for me to get the 2 hiding in the middle of my tank they are hiding pretty well as I just only spotted the second one.. I have ground up fish flakes as small as I could with a morter and pessel.... if i post a pic can u tell me how old they are

sparkles22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ahhh one just got eaten right in front of me soo sad

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Save the fry if you want to raise them, the parents will eat them sooner or later...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom