Fry? Now what do I do?

PAcanis

ETA: I see my thread has been moved to Breeding. Just to be clear, I am NOT a fish breeder. Obviously I knew what could happen, but I don't breed fish anymore than I breed dogs just because I have a male and female :)

I seem to be missing a Platy. They take turns hiding now and then. Getting behind some rock or plant. Then hanging out there a while before returning to the main area. But she came up missing yesterday and I still haven't been able to locate her, so I was poking around the sump area (and floor) with a flashlight and was startled to see movement.

Small yellowish fish I can only assume are fry.

IMG_7033.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

I knew there was a chance my Platies would reproduce, although I did not know it would be so soon. This tank has only been running 2-3 weeks. I figured if nature took its course my fish would have live food for a while. And maybe they did. I have no idea how many of these there were. Only that a few seem to have made their way through the filter sock and into the area before passing through the sponges.

So now that I have them, what do I do?

One idea that comes to mind is moving them into that 2.1g cylinder I am setting up. The plants still haven't arrived for it, but I could certainly fill it with the tank water from where they came and put them in. Right?

Do I need a special food? Without researching I have no idea how long they have even been alive or what they've been eating.

I was going to head into the LFS shortly anyway. Anything I should pick up?

Stripedbass

Just crushed up flake will feed them fine. They don’t require any special care really. You will continue having fry at least once a month.

PAcanis

Just crushed up flake will feed them fine. They don’t require any special care really. You will continue having fry at least once a month.

Great. Thanks.
I was even thinking about adding Bacter AE to the micro nano. I suppose I ought to get it filled up and the heater acclimated.

Fry would be perfect in such a tiny tank.

ALS

I've never had platy fry but (in the chiclid world at least) most fry require brine shrimp which requires a few things to make work. I would ask the lfs what they recommend. As for what they have been eating it may be nothing yet as many fry carry the egg yolk on their bellies for nourishment. When it runs out they will need to eat.

FishOverseer909

For platies along with most live bearing fish fry you don't really have to feed them anything complex just crush some flake food into dust. Plus they really only need to be fed once or twice a day(At least that's how often I fed my fry)

ProudPapa

For platies along with most live bearing fish fry you don't really have to feed them anything complex just crush some flake food into dust. Plus they really only need to be fed once or twice a day(At least that's how often I fed my fry)

That's my understanding also. When I was gone on vacation last spring the fry in my tubs outside didn't get fed for three days (other than what they may have found in the tubs), and I didn't notice any problems.

ruud

Alternatively, use a breeder box with an air stone, like Ziss, so your fry can be raised in the same water conditions where they first saw light and benefit from microfauna in your tank. If you set up a nano tank separate from the main, water conditions can be different and microfauna might not be as abundant. I add lots of moss inside the box and dose bacter ae.

PAcanis

Ah. So the Bacter AE is a good idea.
They'll have to get used to a different light, but it will be the same water like I said.

ruud

I dose bacter ae in all my tanks to stimulate microorganisms, which serves complexer microorganisms (infusoria) which benefit your fry. The effect of bacter ae is debatable though. For instance, it is argued whether bacillus subtilis (one of the ingredients) consumes too much oxygen for shrimp tanks.

I would add some wood/plants/substrate of your main tank to your nano as an indirect food source for fry. Perhaps cultivate some infusoria in a vase as an additional food source.

PAcanis

They're still in the sump. There might even be one more than I thought. They are so tiny it's hard to make them out when I disturb them with the flashlight and they head towards the bottom of the sponge in a corner. Survival instinct I guess. That's why I want the nano all ready to go when I put them in. Still waiting on those plants.

The Etsy seller apologized, but something has to be going on. This isn't the first time he's shipped me something with no tracking updates after the label was created. I'm going to check with my PO and I suggested he do the same with his.

Hopefully tomorrow I can move the fry to their new home.
In the meantime I crushed up one flake and fed them. One might have been eating. He was swimming like he was.

mattgirl

Is it possible these aren't actually Platy fry? I can't see them well enough to see detail. Do you have any fish that scatter eggs? Various Tetras come to mind. Is it possible for eggs to have been pulled into the sump and have hatched in there? Normally these kinds of eggs get eaten before they have a chance to hatch but could have been pulled in there out of danger of being eaten. If that is the case I feel sure they are feeding on microscopic food.

I have to wonder if it might not be best just to leave them where they are until they are big enough to be moved back into the tank? It seems they are comfortable where they are.

I have way too many corys. The reason I do is because occasionally an egg manages to hatch before being found and eaten. The fry seems to find all the food it needs and once it gets up to about 1/2 of an inch long comes out and joins the big guys and girls. Since I don't know they are there until then I don't feed them anything extra.

PAcanis

Is it possible these aren't actually Platy fry?

Is it possible fish eggs can hitch hike in like snails?

The only fish that are in this tank are Platy. But I do have plants from different sources. I did not give these plants a bleach bath. As evidenced by the occasional snail I see and crush :(

And I don't remember now, but I mentioned it in other threads how short a time this tank has been running. I think it's been around three weeks.

It was quite a shock to see any fry.

mattgirl

Is it possible fish eggs can hitch hike in like snails?
That has been known to happen. I don't think it happens often but occasionally someone comes here trying to figure out how they ended up with fish they didn't actually add. They see tiny fry that shouldn't be there. They usually have to wait for it to grow quite a bit before it can be identified.
The only fish that are in this tank are Platy. But I do have plants from different sources. I did not give these plants a bleach bath. As evidenced by the occasional snail I see and crush :(

And I don't remember now, but I mentioned it in other threads how short a time this tank has been running. I think it's been around three weeks.

It was quite a shock to see any fry.
It is very possible what you are seeing are in fact Platy fry though. Livebearing fish often come to us already pregnant and we start seeing fry much sooner than we expect to see them.

PAcanis

Livebearing fish often come to us already pregnant and we start seeing fry much sooner than we expect to see them.

And here I thought conditions had to be just right for fish to breed.
It's hard to believe they'd breed in the LFS's tanks. But that could certainly explain the gold/yellow color when all my Platies are red. Unless they change colors as they grow. I never really looked into it. I figured I'd let them surprise me :)

TheAnglerAquarist

That might be because the father of the fish was not red, breeding be for you got them. I am not sure though as platy fry might change color
It's hard to believe they'd breed in the LFS's tanks. But that could certainly explain the gold/yellow color when all my Platies are red. Unless they change colors as they grow. I never really looked into it. I figured I'd let them surprise me :)

PAcanis

That might be because the father of the fish was not red, breeding be for you got them. I am not sure though as platy fry might change color

Yes. Exactly.
Time will tell :)

ProudPapa

It's hard to believe they'd breed in the LFS's tanks.
But that could certainly explain the gold/yellow color when all my Platies are red. Unless they change colors as they grow. I never really looked into it. I figured I'd let them surprise me :)
  • For many live-bearers, "just right conditions" cover a pretty wide range.
  • I've had fry in the bag when I got home from the LFS. They weren't in there when the fish were put in the bag.

mattgirl

Some fish, yes but when it comes to most livebearers just put a male and female together and fry soon follow. They don't care what conditions they are in. It will be interesting to watch them color up since you can't know for sure what color the dad was.

I was in the same boat when my one mystery snail started laying eggs. I named this snail Mr. Sneller when I first got it. Once eggs appeared that had to change to Miss Sneller. Since I didn't know what color snail she had mated with was I was hoping I would end up with interesting colors. Turned out all the babies look just like her.

PAcanis

Enjoying their new digs.
They probably don't care, but I'll be happier when the rest of the plants get here.

Oct 27.jpg

PAcanis

Geez. I have three really fat Platies I'm noticing o_O

I fed the Corys an algae wafer and the Platy girls moved right in.
And a couple of them look like they have a distended tummy and it's twice as wide as their back :eek:

*wonderful*

86 ssinit

Be warned this doesn’t stop!! You will continually have fry. To me live bearers are as bad as pest snails!!!

PAcanis

Word.
I fear this is a unintended consequence to force me back into saltwater and get a Lionfish.

TheAnglerAquarist

Geez. I have three really fat Platies I'm noticing o_O

I fed the Corys an algae wafer and the Platy girls moved right in.
And a couple of them look like they have a distended tummy and it's twice as wide as their back :eek:

*wonderful*
I know this is un related but Cories should have a protein based diet like shrimp pellets, brine shrimp and blood worms. Any normal pellets or flakes too. Algae wafers aren’t very good for them

PAcanis

I know this is un related but Cories should have a protein based diet like shrimp pellets, brine shrimp and blood worms. Any normal pellets or flakes too. Algae wafers aren’t very good for them

I can't say I know what foods are considered junk food for certain fish. But they get everything else you mentioned, too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
Finneon
  • Question